Whitetail cape sizes

Submitted by Doug Seibert on 12/15/99. ( seibert@ejourney.com ) 207.74.92.144

I am shopping for a couple of "extra" large whitetail capes. I've seen quite a few ads, but am bewlidered by neck measurements that are given. I am used to taking a neck measurement just below the ears. A buck with a 20" neck measured there is one BIG animal! I've not had my hands on a buck with anything larger than a 19 inch neck measured that way. So I am wondering where sellers are measuring when they advertise capes with 24, 25, 26, and even 27 inch necks. It sure can't be where I measure. This problem is compounded when I try to match up a cape with a mannikin. Why isn't there more consistency in the use of measurement?

Return to Category Menu

Same Place You Do

This response submitted by George Roof on 12/15/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.38

Doug,
The northern tier deer I get here in Delaware (they were transplants) get much bigger than that. I usually have 2 or 3 24 inchers each year with the average "trophy" deer running about 20. I've had some from Manitoba and Alberta with 25/26 inch necks. You get a 350 pound field dressed whitetail, he has a neck the size of his butt. I call them "no neckers" cause they are tough to guage if the hunter didn't take good measurements before he skinned it out.

The atlas is a constant measurement.

This response submitted by John C on 12/16/99. ( ) 204.180.103.219

The first measurement above the atlas can vary greatly. I too suffered from the same problems as many forms always need to be worked on etc.

I finally started measuring capes about three inches down from the junction, cured the problems. Thats about where the atlas on the deer.

As for tanned capes relaxing, if the seller says it should relax to 25 inches, I would not think that it will.

When I lived in Kansas I did get some really big capes in, they were huge many in the 26-28 inch range most were 22-24 inches, I started test fitting on the brand of forms I liked then. I also tanned my own capes, I always had a very good fit and that ended all may drumming problems and works great. I would keep three sizes on hand to test fit on. Hope this has answered your questions. John C

Look at the catalog

This response submitted by Todd B on 12/16/99. ( trigger@indy.net ) 209.183.122.20

If you look in probably any one of your catalogs they have an
illustration on how they measure for there particular forms.
some are under the chin and also have a measurement 2 or more
inches below that. Some have A and B measurements some A B C D E F
you just have to "READ THE BOOK"

Todd B

Return to Category Menu