Submitted by Holloway on 12/29/99. ( holloway@intellisys.net ) 216.14.58.108

I have always used bondo to set the skull plate on my
forms. Just wondering about using clay...drying time,
strength, etc.??
Thanks!
Holloway

Return to Category Menu

Skull Plate

This response submitted by George Roof on 12/29/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.166

Holloway,
I used to use potter's clay, but it never dried quickly enough for me. I use Bondo (Shocking as that may be) mixed with cabosil. I mix it cool and when the consistency is like clay, I mold it over the screwed in skull plate. I mark where the screws are and then quickly cover the entire skull with plastic wrap. This allows the a smooth surface and I can roughly form the shape of the skull through the plastic. Just as it starts to harden, I take the plastic off and carve the final detail in with a scalpel and uncover the screws. After it hardens, I rasp it to its final shape, remove the screws and pop the whole skull off. After I pull my hide with the "y" incision on the manniken, I install the skull, cover the screws with potters clay and finish my eye/ear butt work before final sewing.

Cabosil

This response submitted by Art on 12/30/99. ( ) 216.28.80.46

George,
What is cabosil?

Cabosil

This response submitted by Frank on 12/30/99. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 171.216.15.160

Cabosil is a thickning agent added to resins to make it thicker. You can get it through most catologs.

Skull plate quest-Cabosil

This response submitted by Larry on 12/30/99. ( hidebeak@cpinternet.com ) 204.220.140.226

Cabosil (a thickening agent for resins) is a brand name for fumed silica. Another brand name for the same thing is Aerosil. We carry it If you'd like a copy of our catalog, visit our web site at www.hidebeak.com (guest book), or call us at 1-800-777-7916, and ask for one. Happy New Year!

bondo and sawdust

This response submitted by z on 1/2/00. ( ) 208.18.175.44

We've used bondo and the old saw dust from our bird tumbler. Light weight , carves easily and is cheap.

Return to Category Menu