paint. I was painting the spots on a fish the other day and the paint
kept drying on the tip of the brush every 10 seconds. I would have to
clean the brush out completly every time to get it to work again and
it was still doing it. Why is this, what can I do to prevent it? Any
help will be greatly apreciated!

Dan

Return to Category Menu

Paint Viscosity / Retarder

This response submitted by Don Patton jr. on 6/30/01. ( dondi10@juno.com ) 64.20.80.27

Dan,
The first thing I would try is to thin out your paint. Try mixing your paint with 30 - 40% alcohol. ( You can go up to 50% if needed). The viscosity of your paint should be that of skim milk.
If you still have problems only then would I use paint retarder. Go very easy with it. To much retarder will cause problems with drying.
Hope this helps.

Don Patton jr.

Which dries quicker water or alcohol?

This response submitted by John C on 6/30/01. ( ) 208.44.115.71

A retarder will slow the drying down and allow the paint to dry on the fish, not on the a/b tip. I use waterbase and laq thru the #3 tip and always addddddd a touch of retarder to every color. Stops splatters, spots and a/b puking. Alos cut back on your air pressure.

Use water

This response submitted by JL on 6/30/01. ( wmlures@xtdl.com ) 140.186.49.140

If you use alcohol, it will evaporate quicker than water.I would try thinning it with water first to see if that solves your problem. If it does'nt, you might try to thin the paint with Windex.I would experiment with the windex only as a last resort, but it could be the answer to your problem. Good luck......JL

What I have learned so for is

This response submitted by Pat May on 6/30/01. ( ) 198.81.23.70

That the formula for trouble free spraying is to match the size of the airbrush you are using ( which is your constant) to the viscosity or thickness of your paint at the proper air pressure. In other words the smaller the airbrush size, the thinner the paint, the lower the air pressure. The larger the airbrush size, the thicker the paint, the higher the air pressure. Another variable that comes into play is temperature. I have figured that if it is colder, the vehicle, in the case of water based paints, dries slower. Warmer and it dries faster. Also you should not have to clean the whole airbrush. You could buy a super soft toothbrush and brush the "crust" off the end and continue spraying.

Return to Category Menu