throat latch problem

Submitted by kelly on 6/1/01. ( ) 205.217.137.32

i carve my own fish bodies and have great results in shape and fit.my only problem area is the throat latch.its never long enough,it seems after i secure the head i have extra skin between the tip of my form and the area where the latch starts.im pretty sure im marking it right on my pattern.any other ideas on what i might be doing wrong?

Return to Category Menu

Measurements

This response submitted by Frank Kotula on 6/2/01. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.173.56.241

Check your measurements. What to do is take a measurement from the pelic fin base to the end of your throat latch. Now make sure you have this on your carved body. If all the measurements are correct then all should fit fine. What I see here is that you are trying to stretch the skin forward and that is giving you more than you need. Like all things once it is skinned and fleshed it becomes slightly bigger.

Just carve it longer.

This response submitted by John C on 6/2/01. ( ) 208.44.115.42

I dont ever measure a fish, draw a pattern for profile from the top and side. Thats all just carve them a little longer.

Kelly

This response submitted by Leanna on 6/2/01. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 209.98.65.55

Is your head going back onto the form far enough? I had the same problem and some kind soul told me to try that and it worked.

Don't Worry Be Happy

This response submitted by Elmer on 6/2/01. ( Topstaxidermy@aol.com ) 64.12.96.103

If the suggestions already mentioned doesn't solve your problem. Run a wire thru it and let fdry. Then sculpt it as part ogf your finish work. Will be fine.

Return to Category Menu