Salmon has wrinkles, and drumming

Submitted by Cecil Baird on 6/6/01. ( jjbaird@ligtel.com ) 63.115.128.245

I may try to repair a king salmon for another taxidermist. I haven't seen it yet, but he says the fish was mounted for one of his customers by another taxidermist, and although the fish looked great initially, it started to develop wrinkles and drummning while hanging on the wall.

As far as I know the customer didn't do anything stupid to it like get it wet, put it over a direct heat source, etc.

Any ideas why this happened, and ways to fix the fish? I'm assuming the fish was not completely dry when painted, and or not enough glue or any glue was used when the fish was mounted. Also, it is a fall salmon and as we all know their skin seems to be thicker that time of year which probably didn't help. As I've never had this happen to one of my mounts, I'm puzzled as to the cause.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cecil

Return to Category Menu

Cecil!

This response submitted by M.T. on 6/6/01. ( ) 207.74.92.99

Being from Michigan also , I do a lot of trout and salmon.Every once in a while, I'll have one bubble up on me. One that is mounted in the winter time or at a time with a good heat source on never does that, but when they are mounted in the late spring to early fall, they are prone to this because of our high humidity. Also if the fish wasn't degreased properly, that could also make it happen because most hide pastes will not adhere to oils.

See ya Cec

I'm with you, Cecil

This response submitted by Doug M on 6/6/01. ( dnj@tenforward.com ) 209.43.157.78

Doesn't sound like it was completely dry. Those thick-skinned buggers take much longer to dry. I've never seen one wrinkle up AFTER it was dried and finished/painted.

As far as fixing it, well it's hard to say without seeing the extent of the damage. I'd try to iron the wrinkles first. If that doesn't do it maybe a combination of sanding and epoxy filler. Slightly rehydrating the problem areas might be an option but not one I would choose. Any of these solutions would require considerable touch up or maybe even a complete repaint. The drummed areas could be injected to fill the voids if they are otherwise not too noticeable. I try to avoid repairing other people's work whenever possible. Too much hassle. When I do accept these jobs I charge big bucks for them. They always turn out to be more trouble than originally thought. Hope this helps, Cecil, but I suspect you've already thought of these suggestions and probably others! Good luck.

Those fall salmon...

This response submitted by Al on 6/6/01. ( easteden111@webtv.net ) 209.240.220.221

Are a lot nicer to work on then the spring ones... Also from my experience the fall ones are not as greasy as summer or spring. If you are into using a heavy brush on type of gloss you will have better end results with this repair in my opinion. I would inject or make some small incisions that would enable an adhesive to be applied to the effected areas. Ironing my work on some areas if its just wrinkled but if its really pulling away you will need a glue of some sort. Remember that the fall skin of a salmon is like leather, thick and tuff. I have found you can do alot of repairs and get it looking great with the heavy gloss's to hide alot of it.

Return to Category Menu