The Coppernose Bream is not a Hybrid Bill!

Submitted by Cecil Baird on 6/23/01. ( jjbaird@ligtel.com ) 63.115.128.208

Bill,

With all due respect you seem to be a very well informed intelligent individual, but whoever told you the coppernose bream is a hybrid misinformed you, or you misunderstood.

They may be used as controls in research, and many southern aquaculturists breed them, but they are not a hybrid!

They are one of three subspecies of bluegills of which the coppernose (Lepomis macrochirus purpurescens) is native of peninsular Florida and introduced in other southern states. The other two supspecies are Lempomis macrochirus macrochirus which most of us are familiar with and found over most of the U.S., and Lepomis macrochirus speciosus which is a bluegill native to the mexican drainage.

The coppernose gets it name from the copper colored patch that develops above the eyes on the bridge of the nose. Texas is crazy about them, and I know a biologist in Arkansas that works for a fish supplier that sells them to Texans.

If you doubt what I'm saying I'll be glad to give you the email of the biologist in Arkansas.

Cecil

Return to Category Menu

Why would I doubt you.....?

This response submitted by Bill Gaither on 6/23/01. ( WILDART@prodigy.net ) 66.90.179.5

I believed the other guy. It is a moot point, Cecil. I had already sent the species name (purpurescens) to the fellow on the post and amended the statement to him on the day of response.

I had been told that the fish was a hybrid years ago by a man who shall be un-named. When I researched the critter, I realized that the assignment of the sub-specific was indicative of a species, and not a hybrid. I live in Texas and know that a lot of lakes and ponds here have been stocked with the coppernose. I have caught them and, being a good wildlife artist, photographed some for reference.

The descriptive paragraph about the copper patch is almost verbatim the text of my email. The fellow was just trying to paint them, not re-classify the bream family. While I am a biologist, I am not a fisheries man, nor do I claim to be. Thank you, in any event for the info, but it came too late to inform me. I had already had the lesson. I didn't feel it necessary to post a correction since the forum is not one on taxonomy.

I also know a breeder in Alabama, but I didn't drop a dime on a call to him to find the answer prior to posting. I got the fellow a photo, he is happy, and you have had your fifteen seconds of fame. Thank you for pointing that out.

Blind Spots?

This response submitted by Gordon on 6/24/01. ( ) 142.177.32.119

If we are to go over, ignore, unpredictable temperments and curt replies and appreciate all the good on here, I guess I will sum my outlook up as also forgiveing blind spots. Because a taxiconomy lesson today is rebuffed, yet yesterday an uninvited anatomy lesson (on bear jaw break) was OK.

It's taking me some time to type this, now how much fame do I get? But I don't want any you see. If I could post a big and colorful happy face for this posting I would. I appreciate and enjoy all of your contributions, its just the dad in me can see that ear pinning would be required sometimes.

But this is not my house. So keep your blind spots; I'm sure I've got mine. Gordon

No rebuff intended, Gordon

This response submitted by Bill Gaither on 6/24/01. ( WILDART@prodigy.net ) 66.90.179.16

I just said that I didn't see any need to post the reply that I had emailed to the fellow with the question. The bear jaw thingy was a lesson in grammar and description. The break was not a break......lol
Let's look fer th humor......sorry, but that was all I could type in fifteen seconds....

OK

This response submitted by Gordon on 6/24/01. ( ) 142.177.70.41

Bill,

I'm the one that is blind then, I sincerely accept this. From now on I will go for the humor and glean all the usefull info.

I apologize for missing the intent of your posting. I take from your words then, that there is a big fat smile on your mug when you are posting a reply.

Thanks for all your help on this forum and all that info. you e-mail out, like for me on a giant Blue Fin repro. not long ago. Best Regard, Gordon

Return to Category Menu