maybe this isn`t stupid! I HOPE

Submitted by Steve Snelgrooes on 6/7/02. ( snelgro@nts-online.net ) 216.167.169.231

This is a question-PLUS A STATEMENT-A friend of mine and I where talking the other day and I said that I have NEVER been able to get the slick wet looking finish on my fish like I wanted,he said have you every tried urethane with hardener,I said No ,(he rebuilds old classic cars)he said try it and see what you think,this may be OLD news to all of you if it is I am SORRY well urethane with hardener is what they put on cars for a clear coat! well if you put it on in severals coats with 10-15 min.between coats you get a GREAT SLICK,WET finish on your fish, and it looks GREAT I wish I had found this 10 years ago ,well if everyone out there knew this but me,call me stupid but if not maybe it won`t take you as long as it took me to get a GREAT LOOKING WET SLICK FINISH TO YOUR FISH.. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME STEVE WET AND LOVING IT IN TEXAS

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Several Use this method

This response submitted by Elmer on 6/8/02. ( Topstaxidermy@aol.com ) 152.163.189.102

Or one of the other clear coats that are used at body shops. It does provide a high gloss but remember all clear coats will give off fumes and are harmgul ensure you have good ventilation.

Epo-Grip

This response submitted by cur on 6/8/02. ( wildat@prodigy.net ) 64.196.208.42

Epo-Grip's gloss finish is just that. The Imron family of auto finishes will wipe you out if you are not careful. Just add catalyist to the Epo-Grip product, cut with xylene and spray it on. Diamond shine every time.

wet looking fish

This response submitted by Lloyd on 6/8/02. ( ) 142.165.204.2

I think there is a danger of getting to much shine in a fish then what happens is they start to reflect to much..It doesn't work...Lloyd

Lloyd

This response submitted by cur on 6/9/02. ( wildart@prodigy.net ) 64.196.208.17

The universal household rubbing compound (toothpaste) can be used on a wet cheesecloth to knock that brilliant edge off the epoxies. It is the depth of slime and not that high gloss look that needs to be replicated to bring authenticity to a mount. The toothpaste has sufficient grit to abate the gloss enough to impart reality. Of course, some species (sharks, notably) do not have the "gloss" look at all due to the denticlular array. Some fish appear "wetter" than others. Actually healthy fish are never "wet" since the covering slime repels water. It is that slime that we strive to replicate, and not a wet look......

Gloss starts with the sealer

This response submitted by John C on 6/11/02. ( ) 64.216.172.85

Your car buddy should have told you about sealing and primer. All gloss starts with being properly sealed.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu