New Pacu with two Red Devils

Submitted by Jonathan on 10/23/2002. ( cryinryan2798@yahoo.com ) 64.158.36.194

I got a new Red Belly Pacu in my 55g tank. He's about 5in long and surprisingly gets along with my Two Red Devils, Blondie and Orange. Blondie is a peachy color about 6in long and Orange is a bright redish orange color also about 6in long with a well defined hump on his forehead. They've only been together a couple of days and my question is am I going to have any problems in the future with my Devils hurting my Pacu or the other way around? Also can You teach any of these fish tricks like some people do with oscars?
Thanx alot!
Jonathan

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Killer Cichlids

This response submitted by Jeff on 10/23/2002. ( ) 24.205.160.227

Yes, the Red Devils will kill your Pacu then you can ask a fish taxidermy related question...How do you mount a Pacu? This is not Pet.net...

So what?

This response submitted by Superpig on 10/23/2002. ( ) 205.188.209.10

no one says that taxis don't know about husbandry or fishkeeping. Let him ask that question, somone will have an answer for him. No need to scold him for it. Heck with all the other crap that has been posted here lately I'm kind of glad to see a post like that.

My money is on the red devils ... poor pacu.

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 10/23/2002. ( ) 66.19.110.167

I used to keep a lot of them, sold them at a fish store where I worked, and even bred several, and I can tell you that they will definitely live up to their name. Yours haven't been together long enough to decide to establish and defend a territory, but it won't be much longer. I would suggest you remove the pacu before it becomes sushi. Even the red devils will need to be watched closely in case they decide to fight. A 55 gallon aquarium is a very bare minimum for 2 red devils. Do you know how to sex them? A pair will kill everything else in their tank.
As for tricks .... if leaping halfway out of the water and tearing a slice out of your hand while you are trying to feed them counts as a trick, then there may be some potential there. Otherwise .... nah.

Nancy M.

Pacus and Red Devils

This response submitted by Coyote on 10/23/2002. ( mrathnow@comcast.net ) 68.42.185.174

Jonathan;
Let me shed some light on this subject. The two Red Devils you have are in the Cichlid family, Which comes from Central America, Amphilophus Citinellus". They are very aggressive fish.Actually one of the most aggressive of the cichlid species. The Red Pacus, Are from South America, And are in the Characin family, which are Tetras. They are closely related to the Piranhas. Both fish get quite large. The Pacus can reach a length of 2 to 3 foot. And are really a very shy fish. I've seen them go through a piece of 1/4 in. glass, that was used as the top of the aquairum, and end up on the floor. The two species are definitly not compatable together in the same tank.Pacus are omnivorous which means they eat both animal and vegetable foods. But they are primarily a vegetarian. So trying to grow any kind of plants in your tank is not going to happen. And the Red Devils are big time diggers, and will rearrange your tank on a continuos basis. I would seriously start thinking of getting a new tank for either the Pacus, or the Red Devils. The two may be getting along fine now. But I would put my money on the Red Devils to kill your Pacus.

Coyote

I'm Ririn with the devils

This response submitted by BeastMaster on 10/24/2002. ( ) 64.12.96.206

I use to breed reddevils and Playa his Eyes are good as gone.and if you have a female she'll most likely be the meanist. Good Luck!Oh where did you get your Devils at?

Im Juni and im with the Pacu

This response submitted by Juni on 12/11/2002. ( Juni081627@aol.com ) 205.188.209.10

I would say that the Red Devils do get agressive but dont sleep on the Pacu because when he wants to act dirty he will because a Pacu is quite but once it see's thats the Red Devils want to harm him he will sometimes run but when you go to sleep and turn the lights off the pacu will do some damage because the Pacu's teeth are longer and sharper and trust me he will ripp one of they're lip off, and i know because i have 2 Pacus and had 3 Red Devils and when I went to sleep and turn the lights off and woke up in the morning the devils were dead so now I have 2Pacus, 2Oscars, 2plecos, and 3Corycats and they all used to fight now they get along (so I suggest you a other pacu so then they could both look out for each other and make sure its not smaller than the one you now and make sure its Male ok. If anything Email me ok bye.

RED DEVILS WILL MUNCH PACUS! OR ANYTHING ELSE!

This response submitted by WEIRD BOB on 12/13/2002. ( star@arkansasusa.com ) 65.161.13.214

I HAVE A PACUS ABOUT 4" TIGER OSCAR ABOUT 8" AN ALBINO OSCAR ABOUT 4" A BLUE GAROUMI ABOUT 3" AN ALBINO CHANNEL CAT AND A BLUE CHANNEL CAT. THE PAIR OF CATS ARE ABOUT 4" AND A JACK DEMPSEY ABOUT 6" IN A 55 GAL.(TAXTIME I WILL GET A 300 GAL.) I BOUGHT A RED DEVIL BECAUSE MY BOY LIKED HIM. HE IS ABOUT 3". UPON THE DEVILS ENTRY INTO THE TANK, HE SEEMED VERY SHY, HIDING IN A CORNER. AFTER ABOUT AN HOUR HE CAME OUT TO EXPLORE HIS NEW HOME. HE SEEMED TO GET ALONG WITH EVERYTHING AT FIRST. I WATCHED HIM CLOSE FOR 12 HOURS. WHEN I WOKE THE NEXT MORNING, THE LITTLE 3" DEVIL HAD DEFINNED AND DESCALED MY ALBINO OSCAR WHOM WAS HOPELESSLY GOING TO DIE.(MY WIFE WAS SOOO PISSED!)HE HAD ALSO RIPPED A TAIL FROM ONE FEEDER FISH AND HALF OF ANOTHER.THE LITTLE 3" DEVIL THEN CHARGED THE 8" OSCAR RIPPING A BIG HOLE IN HIS FIN. AT THIS POINT I WENT AND BOUGHT MY BOY HIS OWN 35 GAL TANK. SINCE THE PACUS ALSO BELONGED TO HIM, WE PUT BOTH IN THE SAME TANK. RIGHT OFF THE BAT HE WAS ON HIM HARD. I PUT A FEW FEEDER FISH IN WITH THEM. WOULDNT EVEN LOOK AT THEM. THEY ARE STILL IN THERE. THE PACUS SEEMED TO GET AWAY OK SO I LEFT THEM TOGETHER(DEMPSEY AND BIG OSCAR DIDNT GET ALONG AT FIRST).AFTER ABOUT A MONTH, THE DEVIL HAD NOT LET UP, AND THE PACUS WAS WORN DOWN, AND ALL FINS LOOKED VERY RAGGED OUT. I SEPERATED THEM, AND NOW THE PACUS IS 4 TIMES THE SIZE OF THE DEVIL AND STILL GETS CHASED. I ADOPTED THE PACUS AND BOUGHT MY BOY SOME AFRICAN CICHLIDS, WHICH ARE GETTING RIPPED UP. THIS FISH GETS ALONG WITH NOTHING. HE IS AN ABSOLUTLY TERRIBLE FISH. CANT FIND ANYTHING TO HOLD ITS OWN WITH HIM. HE WILL KILL ANYTHING!

Pacus will win

This response submitted by eric on 12/22/2002. ( ) 158.252.208.97

i had a bunch of pacus and they seem to be killers when grouped. if red devils were to fight pacus. the pacus will defenitly win. but if it was a one on one fight the devil will win. after all... pacus are cousins or the notoris parianah (however you spell it).

UM!?!?

This response submitted by Mike on 01/13/2003. ( mbatmansux ) 205.188.209.10

I have never seen a red devil fish but I do have a pacu....
I just bought him and his is about 2in. ...I also bought 3 angle fish...in a 55gal. is that bad?/

Response to UM!?!?

This response submitted by ShakSper on 01/16/2003. ( ) 24.58.108.56

Mike - Your Pacu and Angels should be fine. Pacus are generally extremely docile and shy. They do more damage to the tank decor and filter tubes than anything. Pacus do not fight with anything, and are not territorial. They do eat most fish smaller than they are, however. But this is not always the case. I have a 50 gal tank with a pacu (13"), common pleco (10"), and cory (2.5") they have been together about 5 years. The pacu has eaten several other fishes as he has matured, including a black tetra, an young geophagus, 2 danios, and some other large tetras.

Angels are also very docile and will not generally harm other fish. They can become territorial when they are mature, but will be much smaller than the pacu. If you only have the 4 fish in the tank, you should be completely fine. The angels should grow to approx 6 inches and the pacu to 15-20". It is advisable that you invest in a larger tank or sell the pacu as he ages - healthy pacus can easily reach 25".

Hope this helps.

the pacu will kill the angel and that a fact.

This response submitted by jamaal on 01/20/2003. ( jamaalboyd@yahoo.com ) 66.73.175.179

The pacu will kill the angel, be free to disagree. The pacu will grow 3 feet and the angel 6in at the max trust me I'm speaking from what I seen.

Anything could be possible

This response submitted by Gibson Les Paul on 02/04/2003. ( ) 198.26.120.12

Jonathan, I once had a tank with a red devil, convict and a Jack Dempsey. They all grew up fine with each other no problems from the red devil at all. I also once owned 5" in oscar and a 4" devil in a 55 gallon tank. One day out of the blue they started fighting and to tell you the truth at first the oscar was kickin it's butt and they're known to not be very good fighters but i guess he was more pissed and determined, give it a shot and see what happens ya never know it might work out fine.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu