how do you laminate foam?

Submitted by Andrew McTaggart on 02/03/2003. ( ) 207.6.232.169

Can anyone tell me or suggest what kind of adhesive works best for laminating a block from the blue or pink hardware store style foam. If I use epoxy, it will make hard ridges in between layers. What type of glue is carvable and soft?

Thaks, Andrew

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Spray type

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 02/03/2003. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.130.34.243

You can go to your local art store and get it there. Or walmart, kmart etc will carry it to. Check out the 3M spray adhisives. They will bond the foam. But I will also say no matter what you use you will still have a spot that is a bit hard at the glue area. 3M works best but if I have to glue pieces together I pin the pieces first lay my pattern on it mark it out and just glue where the pattern is. try to stay about 1/8" from the pattern and you'll never hit the glue. This works out to be the best way. Takes a bit more time to do it.

With all due respect to Frank K.

This response submitted by b bishop on 02/03/2003. ( ) 209.83.43.83

I would like to say that I have tried the spray adhesive and did'nt like the results for carving fish after panels were glued.

I now use latex rubber cement that hardware stores carry and brush on one coat on both surfaces and let dry , then put on a second coat, let tack and position together and set wieght on them (I use an auto or marine 12 volt battery) for the reccomended time for drying on the can. This bond won't seperate like the spray adhesive and is nicer to sand and carve as well. B.Bishop

I Don't

This response submitted by Paul B on 02/03/2003. ( taxidermst@att.net ) 12.87.102.219

I buy foam from "Foam Products" that is thick enough to carve fish bodies out of without piecing it together. If you figure it out you will probably spend more for the finished product after gluing a bunch of thinner foam together (time and materials) . It won't carve as nice either.

I have glued together some scraps of foam with hot glue and carved bodies out of that, but the seam always seems to be tricky carving.

Paul B.

contact adhesive

This response submitted by Jt on 02/04/2003. ( ) 67.0.7.77

for gluing formica to countertops. Be Careful! once stuck, it's stuck. You don't need much and the glue line will be very, very thin.

JT

thank you

This response submitted by Andrew McTaggart on 02/04/2003. ( ) 207.6.232.169

thanks for the help.

Return to the Current Fish Taxidermy Category Menu