How to seal and harden the foam?

Submitted by Andrew McTaggart on 02/04/2003. ( ) 207.6.232.169

Thank you for the advice on how to laminate foam. Firstly, would laminating blue foam sheets be the most economic way to obtain a block? Secondly, once the fish is carved, would a coat of West System epoxy and some glass (6 or 7?) be enough to toughen up the shell? I'm not making fish with skins so it doesn't have to be perfect. I plan on painting the hardened surface with acrylic paint. Does this sound like an ok process? Thank you fish and foam carvers for your patience with me.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

much time wasted

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 02/04/2003. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.133.86.115

Your better off in the long run to purchace a block of foam and carve it from that. Trying to piece your work together is ok if you run into a bit of trouble and you need a block real fast. It'll cost you less by getting a larger block, by piecing it together you have cost of glue, foam, and your time to make a piece not that economical now.

Now there are a few things you can use here, Jeff Lumsed has a coating for foam bodies that work out nice, You apply it on let dry and then sand to a fine finish. Others have used plaster for the same process. Thin the plaster out and brush it on, let dry sand and then paint. I'm sure there are many other things you can coat it with, bondo, fiberglass resin etc. You make the choice on what's best for you.

pour your own

This response submitted by Dave Toms on 02/04/2003. ( ) 198.26.118.36

Just make a plywood box a little bigger then the form you need, coat it with wax, and then pour polyurethane in it to make your own block. You cna get 2 lb density foam that is close to what you buy

Dave

Return to the Current Fish Taxidermy Category Menu