WASCO Wet Look Gloss

Submitted by Frank Brinson on 02/12/2003. ( fab3@pineland.net ) 209.221.37.131

I use this gloss and notice today it has turned a milky color. What do I do? Will it still work? Do it need thinning and if so with what?

In advance thanks for your response!

Frank

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Your humidity is too high

This response submitted by Cecil Baird on 02/12/2003. ( ) 63.115.128.235

It may clear up as the fish dries. If not you need a dehumidifier. You must be in the south as we do not have this problem in the north this time of year.

Laquer or waterbase

This response submitted by Monty-BlueRibbonFish on 02/12/2003. ( ) 63.148.28.254

Another thing that will cause this milky look is not allowing water base paint to dry thoroughly. You should let the fish set at least a few hours before glossing, overnight if possible. If you are like me, you get anxious to see what the fish is going to look like glossed. I assume your talking aerosol gloss. I contacted the makers of Bowen's Super Gloss once with the same question and they told me that the milky look was moisture trying to reach the surface through the gloss. Also follow the directions. Apply a lighter tack coat, wait a minute or two, then a slightly heavier coat. If any milkyness(is that a word?!) appears, place a fan on low a few feet from the fish. Make sure there are no debris on the fan, or you will find them on your fish.

Word to the wise on Super Fish Gloss

Although I too do flash coats I would recommend adding your build up heavier coats about 15 minutes apart as the directions say. I use a timer and follow it religiously. I have found if I wait even to the next day to add successive coats I will have problems with a bad finish. It does a weird crinkly thing and looks terrible. Once that happens the only thing to do is strip and start over.

However it is possible if you want to add more coats much later you can try to put several sealer coats first according to Gary Bowen but it is not a sure thing.

WASCO Wet Look Gloss

This response submitted by Frank Brinson on 02/12/2003. ( ) 209.221.35.71

First, thanks for all response! This is water base and I have not put any on my finish mount. Ii is milky looking in the container. Is it good to use or should I discard it?

Frank

You couldn't pay me to use...

water base sealer. I tried the sealer once and it was not impressive in my opinion. I had it actually warp a fish skin.

I couldn't tell you if the stuff is bad or not. Maybe someone else can.

Try This

This response submitted by Ken Roderick on 02/12/2003. ( fishtrophies@juno.com ) 209.244.138.92

I stopped using gloss, instead I use the spray can of Min Wax Polyeurathane. No more clogged guns, no lifting, no haze, and no alligator. Results are equal or better. Give it a try.
Ken Roderick
Something Fishy Taxidermy
Providence, RI

wet look gloss

This response submitted by JimTucker on 02/13/2003. ( ) 24.50.252.114

sometimes gets milky looking in the container. It should work ok.

Return to the Current Fish Taxidermy Category Menu