REPRODUCTION STRIPER HEADS

Submitted by KEN RODERICK on 02/13/2003. ( FISHTROPHIES@JUNO.COM ) 209.244.132.150

I GENERALLY USE ARP'S STUDIO REPRO HEADS ON MY STRIPER MOUNTS. I FIND THEM TO BE USER FRIENDLY YET A LITTLE PRICEY. AS MY WORK IS MOSTLY STRIPERS I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ANOTHER SOURCE FOR GOOD QUALITY HEADS WITH A GOOD VARIETY OF SIZES. I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO CAST MY OWN. I ALSO FIND IT SOMEWHAT DIFFICULT ON A 50 LB STRIPER TO KEEP IT STABILIZED WHILE THE HEAD IS IN THE ALGINATE.
KEN RODERICK
SOMETHING FISHY TAXIDERMY
PROVIDENCE, RI

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Getting head

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 02/14/2003. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.169.21.209

What seams to be the problem with casting the head. Are you holding the head ,body and then placing it in the alginate. If so try cuting the head off and doing it this way. Just fill the back up with bedding standing the head up right, use a container to go around it and pour the alginate over it that way. It's easier than holding the body and waiting for it to set.
Also if you go to TaxidermyReference.com you can also see how CUR does it by freezing the head.
Not having time to do your own casting can mean one of two things too much work and your way to cheap if the heads are a bit pricey to buy.

Arps Striper Heads

This response submitted by Monty-Blue Ribbon Fish on 02/14/2003. ( ) 63.148.28.62

I too do quite a few large stripers from the Cumberland River area. I have found that Arps striper heads are more affordable if you use the ones without the premolded mouth basket and gills. I use his flexible repro gills instead and they look great. I charge $1 more per inch to offset cost of the head ie 45 in fish pays for head. Also a little tip if you did not see Don Frank article in Breakthrough. Shoot a long wood screw through inside of mouth into throat and into form (drill first). Stabilizes head great while foaming and ez to cover after removing screw. I'll never mount another striper without artificial head.

Return to the Current Fish Taxidermy Category Menu