Blue marlin repair

Submitted by mike on 02/20/2003. ( ) 65.172.253.24

I need help with an old marlin mount the paint is cracking and chiping what is the fastes way to get the paint off. Then what do they put over the fiberglass it appears to be white some sort of putty maybe and how do i put the texture back in it. Thank you for you help

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

mike

This response submitted by newbirdman on 02/21/2003. ( ) 152.163.189.98

First of all , if you fish is cracking and you see white putty, your fish if not fiberglass but probably the real skin with plaster over it . This is how they are mounted in Mexico . You may just be talking about the repair around the bill . Some places still use the original bill on fiberglass fish and this will always crack because of the grease in it . Why do you want to remove the paint ? Just try to fix one spot by chipping out that putty and see what you really have . You may want to try the back of the fish first . Then just repaint the whole fish .
Rick

clairification of my problems with marlin mount

This response submitted by mike on 02/25/2003. ( ) 65.172.253.3

Thank you for your input but tha marlin is definately fiberglass, i sanded some of the paint to see how far the cracks go in and i went to the fiberglass shell. In doing so i sanded through a layer of white material withch they put texture in to resemble the real skin i need to know what the white is and how to repair it and put the texture back in.Please be patiant with me i do not mount fish. thank you mike

Return to the Current Fish Taxidermy Category Menu