Experience with Wildlife Colors?

Submitted by reelife on 02/21/2003. ( ) 205.188.209.134

I searched the archives and didn't find a direct answer.

Have you used Wildlife Colors and how did you find them to be different from the others? I currently use Polytranspar WA paints with a Paasche brush and really have no complaints, but I just ordered an Iwata HP-BC and thought I might try a different paint also, to see if I could improve things. I'll try the WA paint in the new brush to compare apples to apples, but would like your opinions on Wildlife Colors.

Thanks

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

good but

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 02/21/2003. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.167.53.99

There colors are extremly heavly pigmented and go on very heavy if your not careful. I like poly but I have used Wildlife colors but I thin them down a lot cause of the heavy pigments.
The flow through the brush is good with little cloging. Use his retarder for his paints. Plus cleanup is great with just using windex.
Other than the heavy pigments you may like them or not.

Great Paint

This response submitted by Paul B on 02/22/2003. ( paul@trophybears.com ) 205.188.209.137

Wildlife Colors work great. I look at the concentated pigments as a plus, you get more paint for your dollar. You just need to thin them a bit and they will go a long way. I pasted a post that I posted some time ago, it has some helpful hints as far as thinning goes.

"Airbrushing for Dummies"
Submitted by Paul B on 01/02/2003. ( mr.trout@att.net ) 12.87.101.147

Step 1. Get a good brush (like an Iwata) with a small color cup. Reason being, most people seem to have the most trouble when doing details and most detail work can be done with a few drops of paint. Also bottles tend to have a lot of sediment (pigment) in the bottom and that is where the little siphon tube is located. If you must use the bottle feed type cut the little siphon tube shorter so it pulls the paint from somewhere other than the bottom of the bottle.

Step 2. Buy good quality paint, like Wildlife Colors or equivalent. I would also buy their cleaner/thinner (cut the cleaner 50/50 with water and you have a premium thinner), retarder and transparent base. The transparent base isn't for detailing, but works great to make your colors transparent for tinting.

Step 3. Mix your paint correctly. I have found this ratio to give me the best results. Let"s say I am going to do all the black spots on a rainbow. I will put 8 drops of warm black in the cup, add 4 to 6 drops of thinner and one small drop of retarder. The way to get a small drop is to use a syringe with a 20 or 22 gauge needle as your dispenser for the retarder. If your using bottles you"re going to have to figure out the ratio for bigger quantities of paint, thinner and retarder. Now mix thoroughly and spray away. I have never played around with air pressure too much. I just set mine at 30 psi., and leave it.

Step 4. Sit back in amazement of how easy it is to use a good airbrush.

Thanks

This response submitted by reelife on 02/23/2003. ( ) 64.12.96.104

Thanks for your responses, I'll give it a try.

Return to the Current Fish Taxidermy Category Menu