largemouth bass question

Submitted by Brandon on 02/24/2003. ( ) 64.12.96.202

What is the best hide paste and dry tan to use on a largemouth bass.

Thanks, Brandon

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

This response submitted by Paul on 02/24/2003. ( ) 165.247.136.116

I like WASCO's Tru-Tan wet tan.

I use

This response submitted by migda's taxidermy on 02/24/2003. ( ljmigda@nmo.net ) 64.186.46.234

For bass and all my other warm water fish i use just a solution of twentymule-team borax and water, about a cup or so per gallon of water. before mounting i'll usually wash fish skin in Dawn dish soap and water, rinse well and mount. For oily or cold-water species i basically do the same except use a degreaser and use artificial heads because of shrinkage, grease etc. I've used WASCO's polytransper hide paste on fish for many years and find it works great!

I use ...

This response submitted by Cecil Baird on 02/24/2003. ( ) 63.115.128.218

Wallmart's latex caulking in a tube (doesn't have latex in the ingredients and a few "unknowns" listed) but I use in on commercial and competition work and it works not only great but is economical. I'll bet anything all those hidepastes you buy from the supply companies are something used for other purposes like carpet glue or something.

I do not use a tan on my fish. I also use a borax saturate solution and lysol cleaner to keep the bacteria at bay. I believe the so called "fish tans" are a sham. They are not really a tan at all.

DENATURED ALCOHOL

This response submitted by JLJ on 02/24/2003. ( ) 66.138.8.238

...and water 50/50 letsoak for a couple of hours or overnite then mount I use wal mart caulk also this combo seems to be the ticket!

Return to the Current Fish Taxidermy Category Menu