FIsh eye question

Submitted by Andrew on 02/27/2003. ( ) 207.89.210.160

Gotta ask a question or two here. Im just getting into doing fish and want to know about eyes. I attempted to mount a crappie used fish filler noticed I was a tad rough with the skin and will have to build up some areas due to holes and scale loss. I bought some flex eyes for it suggested by a friend that has used them for some time.
I either dont know how to set them the right way they just looked way to big for eye socket. I trimmed them down and got them set and ofcourse the one on the non-show side looks better of the two.
I then got my Tom Sexton Largemouth Bass video out and noticed he was setting his eyes and then sculpting the rest of the eyeball in.
Is this a better method to learn it just looked easier than fighting with the flex eye to me. Can anyone tell me what they think maybe I just tried to hard with the flex eye?
Thanks all and take care, Andrew

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

A matter of time

This response submitted by Elmer on 02/27/2003. ( Tops ) 152.163.188.227

Usually the best thing to do is downsize the flex eye because it includes the schlerol band area. Then when mounting your fish use white critter clay in the cheek and eye orbit. Set the eye and let dry. The time matter is a liitle more time in the pit will help your experience with fish.

!@#$#@ Flex Eyes

This response submitted by The Rookie on 02/28/2003. ( NaturesTrophies@aol.com ) 152.163.188.227

I've done quite a few fish and decided to try flex eyes because they were about the best looking crappie match I could find. I to ended up with an eye that was 7mm to big and dremmiled the sucker to fit. Don't feel alone on this one . But until I learn the proper application of these eyes I will go back to my gold backed Van Dykes eyes. Easy to set and good looking. This is something you might consider to. Trout eyes are usually a pretty good match for crappie from what I've found in my limited experiance. Do listen to Elmer to. Getting the meat from the cheek area is something many beginners neglect to do and only leads to shrinkage and stinkage. Get yourself a little cheeker spoon and save yourself some misery. The holes and scales are mistakes that will alleviate themselves with practice. Mount anything you can get your hands on.(fish LOL) The smaller fish will make you pay the most attention and then when you get to the bigger ones they'll seem like a walk in the lake. Don't get frustrated. Practice,practice,and then every once in a while, a little more practice. Good Luck! Jeff P.S. hope your recovery is going well Elmer.

Flex Eyes

This response submitted by Jim Tucker on 02/28/2003. ( ) 24.50.252.114

Are made to be inserted at the time of mounting...before the fish is dry. i f you do it this way they always fit well and leave you without the re-building of the capsule. If you wait until the fish dries the socket hardens and you can't get them in.

Go back.......

This response submitted by Dave B on 02/28/2003. ( ) 24.220.0.48

.....and read what Elmer said. Now read it again.The Iris will be the same size as a normal glass eye. But because of the scleral band on the flex eye,you'll need to order an eye roughly 4 mm smaller than a glass eye without the band. So a 14 mm glass eye will be the equilivant to an 18 mm flex eye because of the white band!This eliminates the use of a capsule. Got It?LOL
I got ya Elmer! LOL
Believe me, I was very confused at first myself!
have a great day,
dave

Jim nailed it

This response submitted by George on 02/28/2003. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.11

The original flex eyes had instructions inside. You simply filled the cheeks on a fresh fish skin, and then packed the eye sockets with foam rubber. Then you'd take the flex eye (using the recommended size eye for the fish you had), fold it until it fit into the soft skinned socket, and let the foam rubber push it back out against the skin. It also allowed you to tilt, rotate, and adjust the eye for special poses PRIOR TO THE SKIN DRYING. They still work the same way and if done correctly, they make a beginners work look much more acceptable. The don't include these instructions anymore and sadly are probably losing business because of it just to save a few cents in printing and packaging.

Return to the Current Fish Taxidermy Category Menu