Submitted by Jim on 05/11/2003. ( jimpatchett@execs.com ) 209.250.153.19

What global sea location is the above fish named
"Orange Ruffie" fished for or caught.

Thx

JIM

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Deep Sea

This response submitted by Raven on 05/11/2003. ( ) 24.150.167.36

Deep Sea in oceans surrounding Australia is one place. Stocks were almost depleted there at one point from over harvest.

Jim

This response submitted by Bruce on 05/11/2003. ( ) 12.159.189.161

the actual spelling is Orange Roughy.....hoplostethus atlanticus......it is found world wide and is harvested via deep-net trawling........the Austrailia and New Zealand fishery was not developed untill 1979 and focused primarily around the Chatham Rise, a spawn box for this species........the North Atlantic fishery started in 1889 around the Faroe Islands.........it is long lived (100 years) bony fish......order Beryciformes.....breeding age is 20-30 years....it is a massing species, and only recently, has been targeted as a food source, and prior to modern havesting techiniques was primarily sold as by-catch.

May I add

This response submitted by rick on 05/12/2003. ( ) 24.186.24.131

That this fish tastes absolutely delicious.Sort of like lobster in taste and consistency.

Rick

This response submitted by bruce on 05/12/2003. ( ) 12.159.189.161

I couldn't agree with you more....spectacular on the pallet.....unfortunatly however.......most people who find this wonderful eating fish in restaurants and fish markets are not getting good fresh fish.......I have been fortunate, more than once to get fresh flopping specimens from trawlers when I was commercial fishing.....there is a definate 100% differance in taste and texture between store bought market Roughy and the bug eyed specimens uncleaned right out of the net.......they are mainly prawn eaters and this is so evident in the flavor of fresh specimens........I'm drooling right now for some prime fresh fillets

Fibreglass Repro

This response submitted by Corey Green on 05/12/2003. ( corey.green@nre.vic.gov.au ) 157.128.57.55

For those who are interested I have mounted several and also routinely age 1000's of them for fisheries assessment in Australia. Bruce is correct with the biology of this species however I have recently aged samples from an unfished stock that were in excess of 200 years of age. And yes they are very nice on the pallet.
I first tried a skin mount but this is one of the oiliest fish I have ever encountered and the skin is as fine as tissue paper. Fibreglass reproduction is the way to go. I used Por a Mold but any other RTV rubber would do.

For those who are interested in photos or paint schedules or to purchase one just email me.

Corey

Return to the Current Fish Taxidermy Category Menu