How do I keep Bluegill and Crappie alive in an aquarium?

Submitted by DAVID PATRICK on 12/28/2003. ( DAVIDPATRICK@COMCAST.NET ) 68.51.186.226

I have a 150 gallon aquarium. I want to keep crappie and bluegill in it. I can't seem to keep them alive more than 1 week. Can someone please give me some pointers on how many I can keep in this size tank and maybe what are some of the things to watch for such as PH. I have two power filters and undergravel filtration. Thanks.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

This response submitted by . on 12/28/2003. ( . ) 63.226.152.84

some sates its illeagle unless your a minor. In MN you half to be 16 or under to keep tutles and fish etc. Check local fish and game laws. Since I kepted live fishing I used natural rain water, melted snoe, or lake water.

Standard Aquarium Practices

This response submitted by Tenbears on 12/29/2003. ( ) 64.12.96.103

Native fish are no different from any other, Attention should be paid to pH, 6.8 to 7.0 is best. Temperature, Remember although tropical fish like temperatures of 80 to 85 degrees. North American natives do better in 65 to 70 degrees. With the filter equipment you described, oxygenation would not be a problem. However acclamation may. Do not introduce a large quantity of specimens at once. As doing so can cause a spike of nitrites in the tank. Place the specimen in a plastic bag in its native water. add air to the bag so it will float, float bag to slowly bring water in bag to temperature in tank, after about 8 hours open bag and let in some of the tank water. add more air to aid in oxygenation, do the same thing the next morning, and again on the 3rd day, on the 4th day you can release the fish into the tank. This way they will slowly acclimate to the change in water. One point to remember. if you have city water never add tap water directly to the tank, it must sit out over night to allow any chlorine time to evaporate, and reach room temperature. Well water should be filtered and free from minerals and salt. keep your temperature in the tank consistent excessive fluctuations in temperature can result in cripyicarian. and can devastate the fish. good luck, and have fun

wow

This response submitted by Roger E on 12/29/2003. ( ) 198.81.26.172

I have a 45 gallon aquarium that has maintained a live population of 7 saucer-size blue gills for the last 4 years, haven't lost any...I use water from my well, with an exterior hanging filter, probably only gets changed once per year, and the water is just room-temperature, with no special efforts taken. 90% of the diet is just cichlid pellets...I have never had fish that were easier to keep and maintain...

Crappy crappie

This response submitted by Doug on 12/29/2003. ( ) 64.18.237.73

I agree with everything previously posted. I had aquaria with several kinds of wild fishes in my classroom every year. Bluegills, bass, perch, etc. were easy to keep and thrived. Crappies were always a problem...eh? They were not aggressive enough to compete for food, and would NOT eat anything except small minnies or wigglers. You can't have too many airstones either. If the fish hover near the surface, you need to force more 02 in. Watch the fins on crappies. 'Gills will pick away at them. Good luck David.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu