Magic-Sculp vs. Magic Smooth

Submitted by Steve Frey on 02/03/2004. ( sfrey@triversity.com ) 66.101.4.138

I have been using Sculp-All for awhile now and need to go to a new epoxy as I cannot find it any more. My question is what are the differences between the two products? Which one is easier to smooth out for seams and head junctions, fin butts,etc... Any opinion would be appreciated

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Magic smooth is like Vaseline

This response submitted by JOhn C on 02/03/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Look at the Seam and Repair putty from Nrwton Supply, is easier to smoothout than and product on the market.

Magic smooth is like grease and very gummy.

Magic Sculpt is the clay type of epoxy.

Also look at Apoxie Sculpt from AVES.

Sculp Epox vs. Apoxie Sculpt?

This response submitted by marty on 02/03/2004. ( ) 67.173.51.16

While we're on the subject, I need to think about ordering somemore epoxy and I don't see Sculp Epox anymore either. I'm looking for something a little less "stiff" and more workable. Not as thin as Smooth Epox, but close to Sculp-Epox, but softer. Does Apoxie Sculpt come close to what I'm looking for?

Follow-up Q: How do all the Epoxies fare if they freeze in shipping?

apoxie sculpts great

This response submitted by migda's taxidermyl on 02/03/2004. ( ljmigda@hotmail.com ) 208.252.179.30

Apoxie sculpt is what i use for all my seam work or rebuilding of shrunken areas. Feathers nicely, especially if you wet your finger with water. I have built up an intolerance to the solvents after years of use {or mis-use} and need to wear surgical gloves. It sands exceptionally well also, great for smoothing the union of head to body on fish with artificial heads. I think it handles at least minor freezing well!

John C.

This response submitted by bucksnort on 02/04/2004. ( ) 24.237.125.68

What is the name of the supplier for Seam and Repair putty.
Thanks!

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu