arp fins

Submitted by Betsy on 02/03/2004. ( ) 152.163.253.3

I installed arp fins on a walleye.They came out nice but, when I coated the fish with Liquid Crystal, the fins became soft and lost their shape. I carded them and am now hoping for the best. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Fiberglas fins

This response submitted by Ken on 02/04/2004. ( fishmounter@alaska.com ) 24.237.148.169

Use fiberglas fins next time.not hotglue

All the time.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 02/04/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

One reason to find a different supplier for Repros.

His repros are okay...

This response submitted by Luke on 02/04/2004. ( ) 67.75.236.37

But the fins suck!
I usually purchase glass fins from other suppliers and use those on Arps repros. Remember it is a reflection of your work if the paint is good but the fins look like elephant ears in a few months down the road.

Why Dennis.....

This response submitted by JL on 02/04/2004. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.194

...doesnt see the light and start making his fins out of polyester is beyond me. Those hot glue fins are the only reason I don't buy his repros.For all the same reasons expressed in the other posts and also I have had to replace fins that broke in cold temps while the fish was on a wall at a closed summer home where I had used his fins.When it's cold they're like potato chips and when it gets hot they droop.You couldn't pay me to use his hot glue fins again.Just my opinion...JL

I agree with Luke wholeheartedly!

This response submitted by Todd B on 02/04/2004. ( ) 67.37.6.39

They are marginal on small fish but everything else they SUCK!. I did a walley a few years back and they droop and sag horribly.

Todd B

Seal them first

This response submitted by Craig on 02/06/2004. ( ctracker@rochester.rr.com ) 24.24.37.196

I've used them occassionally but seal them with a couple of light coats of clear silicone or fin sealer, Sobo glue, Modge Podge, etc. You have to do this if you get them anywhere near thinner anyway as hot melt glue dissolves when thinner is applied to them. I think it gives them enough of a rigid coating that they hold up fine. Never had one come back. With the feedback here maybe Dennis will put in some time to figure out a better way. As they say this trade seems to change everyday with new and innovative products and methods. Got to keep up.

Ooops

This response submitted by Wally on 02/06/2004. ( wpttaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 216.70.5.53

After reading the previuos complaints on this about heat droop..I got concerned I had already installed the fins..I heat inserted floral wire in them to hold up..I did folow the directions and coated them with sealer and podge.. I put them under a heat lamp no porblems so far over 100 degrees in temp for over 36 hours..The directions I got also advised against useing Laq on them..... \
I too have already started my own fin molds going to use poura cast..I was considering acrylic so i could heat them up and form them..Any suggestions?

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu