native fishtank

Submitted by michael floyd on 02/01/2004. ( fludstud@aol.com ) 68.95.130.217

fishing is my favorite thing to do and i just purchased a 30 gallon tank i know its not very big but i wanted to get a 55 gallon but there was not enough room or money to support it....i would like to keep native fish in the tank..i have acess to bass, catfish,sunfish and trout....ive people could leave posts of which of thsees fish live well together and what i would need to make my tank suffiecient for them

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

no largemouth

This response submitted by matt on 02/01/2004. ( ) 12.214.199.225

i have a tank and i have a largemouth, but i also have a sunfish. the largemouth attacks it nonstop and i read that any fish will get along with each other except largemouth and any other combination

My .02

This response submitted by Doug on 02/01/2004. ( ) 64.18.236.141

Michael,
I had a 55 gallon tank in my classroom for each of my 33 years as a high school biology teacher. Here are a few words of advice. Do not use coldwater fishes( any trout). Of the warmwater species, most will adapt to a community tank except crappies. As long as the fishes you choose are of a similar size, bluegills, perch, bullheads, and largemouth bass(NOT smallmouth)will coexist. Use PLENTY of aeration via air stones, and use the biggest powerflow filter you can afford.
Use plastic plants, and put the tallest near the back of the tank. Keep decorations to a minimum as the residents will seek out cover to hide. Have a FULL cover to prevent evaporation and keep the fish from jumping out. Watch for the pecking order, and if one becomes too aggressive, fillet him(LOL).

Question for Doug...

This response submitted by Brian on 02/03/2004. ( Gonefishin71B ) 205.188.209.9

Doug,

Question for Doug...

Doug,

2nd Try Question for Doug...

Doug,apologies, hit send by accident somehow. How do you go about keeping a largemouth alive in a tank for any length of time, with regard to ph and especially food. I have a 70 gallon tall aquarium, a filter capable of handling three times that per hour, and a separate aeration system, and the three pounder I had in there by his lonesome wouldn't take food. After about a week lethargy set in and I released him where I caught him. Oh yeah, I maintained water temp around 65, just about the temp he was in at the pond.Any help you could offer would be appreciated. Thanx for your time.

Live Minnows

This response submitted by matt on 02/04/2004. ( ) 12.214.199.225

largemouth will attack live minnows, other wise they are pretty pickey about what they eat

Ammonia in the water.

This response submitted by John C on 02/05/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Back many years ago I kept a few smallmouth in a 55 gallon tank, they would become lethargic, ph was right everytime seemed right. The fish slowed down in activity and I lost a couple. Finally found out why.

Each week you need to change 1/3 of the volume of water, ammonia build up the biologist told me. Sure enough it worked.

Smallies have huge appetites, be ready to feed them!!1 50 craws in 3 days, other fish that are as big or a bit bigger, Had super nice sculpin, just huge! Then one day the sculpin was gone, nothing but the tail hanging out of the smallies mouth and a golf ball in its belly.

Thanx For the input...

This response submitted by Brian on 02/05/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.9

Thank you for the responses. Good points I'll keep in mind!

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu