can ya help me out here?

Submitted by Bruce on 02/07/2004. ( ) 66.31.79.65

I have found a shark jaw set on the river bank, It is dried and out of shape. Can I put it in water to relax it and reshape it or, if anything what can I do to open it the way it should be.

thank you

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

? SHARK

This response submitted by ! on 02/07/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.5

?what is a shark doing in a river

probably turned loose, just.............

This response submitted by Randal R. Waites on 02/07/2004. ( rwenglish1@aol.com ) 205.188.209.5

It was probably turned loose, just like the cougars here in Michigan. They get to big to keep, and, walaa, out they go. Only thing is, know one is going to claim that the shark is on the come back in the river, and call in the FWS, to close fishing in that river to protect the shark.

Sharks

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 02/07/2004. ( ) 66.82.9.64

Have been found in rivers and lakes. It seems I read of a shark that made it quite a way up the Mississippi, close to St. Louis, supposedly. Depends on where he found it. Could have been on a coastal river with brackish water, too.

The sharks more commonly kept in aquariums don't get very big, maybe a couple of feet at most. They take a LOT of room, so if it was from a fairly good size shark, it's doubtful someone dumped it. It's possible someone caught it fishing and stripped the meat off it, then tossed the remains back in. Numerous ways it could have ended up in there.

Might try soaking it to see if the cartilage will soften up. I don't know if that will work or not, but maybe someone on here will.

Neat find, though! =)

bull sharks

This response submitted by newbirdman on 02/07/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.5

Bull sharks are noted for entering fresh water rivers and I read somewhere that one was found 1000 miles up the Amazon . One of the worst shark attacks of the century was on the east coast up a river between NY and NJ . A white shark killed a horse and two people swimming in a creek 10 miles from the ocean . Its been a TV many times . Rick

More about the shark jaw set

This response submitted by Bruce on 02/08/2004. ( ) 66.31.79.65

All of your answers have been some what funny, I think it came in from the ocean and was washed up on the bank, BUT HOW DO I SOFEN THE DAMN THIG UP TO RESHAPE IT?
Thank you

shark jaws

This response submitted by wetnwild on 02/09/2004. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Try addind a little fabric softner to a gallon f water, and let the jaws sit in it for a few days submerged. It may or may not loosen up the cartilage enough for you to shape and scrape. Give it a try at this point, it wont hurt. If the cartilage is so sun dried it wont absorb any more moisture, you may be out of luck, but even dry hard beef jerkey can be rehydrated with a little patience

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu