Air Brush Questions

Submitted by Kyle on 02/15/2004. ( carter_15_00@hotmail.com ) 69.26.16.84

Hey, I'm a beginning taxidrmist and I have a Paasche VL double action air brush. I seem to be fighting it to get it to do what I want it to do and its getting frusterating. I have been practicing with it for about 4 months now and it just doesnt do what I want it to do. Do any of you guys have any suggestions on what to do? Maybe buy a single action....I dont plan on spending a fortune on an air brush. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Try This

This response submitted by Wildwood on 02/15/2004. ( ) 206.229.235.172

Are you using a quality paint such as Life Tone. Secondly you may to thin your paint down and adjust your air pressure. Do you have a moisture trap on your air compressor , if not you may have water mixing with your paint. Also read Dan Rinehart's articule in Jan/Feb 2004 Taxidermy Today this is his 5th part on mounting a large mouth bass it covers painting. Eventually it will become second nature. Good Luck

Use a retarder instead of thinning it.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 02/15/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Explain whats going on, did you know the WASCO FISH Manual has a Airbrush trouble shooting guide for airbrushes? It does!

You dont need to buy a single action, read the instructions and you will see your VL can be set up to be single action.

Now how is it giving you fits?

It doesnt let out paint

This response submitted by Kyle on 02/15/2004. ( carter_15_00@hotmail.com ) 69.26.16.84

I tried it again today and right away when it starts out it is doing fine then after a minute or so it just stops letting out paint. I clean it good every time I am done using it. It just doesnt do the job i want it to. It works good for a minute then it goes down hill from there. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Use a retarder

This response submitted by Jeff S. on 02/15/2004. ( ) 206.229.233.8

as John stated above.It sounds like the paint is drying on the tip and plugging it up. When you only add water it will thin the paint but it will not slow the drying time. Fill your bottle about 1/4 full and add 5 or 6 drops of retarder and a few drops of water. This should help. Another thing to check is to be sure that the tip is in good shape and properly cleaned.

Ditto with the above comments

This response submitted by Cecil Baird ( ) 63.115.128.181 on 02/15/2004. ( ) 63.115.128.239

and even with doing all the right things it is not unsual that you will have to open the adjustment up and blow out some paint from time to time. Hang in there it does get easier.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu