I am in need of help badly!

Submitted by Curtis-Living Edge Taxidermy on 02/15/2004. ( Bighunter90@Juno.com ) 63.226.182.58

Hello,

I have a few quick questions. I bought an aztec airbrush, a fairly simple looking one. It has a little lever, push it down and the paint comes out. But what I notice is that the adapter too hook it up to a compressor is very large!

How can i fix this? Does a hardware store carry an adapter?

Also I was wondering, can you use on of those compressed air tanks? a 10-15 pound tank you fill up with a pump? they are around $25.00. You just fill them up every time you get low. They look like a tank that has a compressor motor on it, but without the motor? I have a tire pump that could fill it.

I am just starting airbrush and also would like to know if there is a kit/sampler of paints that has a wide varity of paints to choose from, or if I'd be better buying individule colors.

Would you suggest buy a replica fish blank, and practice on that until I get better at it?

For crappies and bluegills, would you suggest buying the stencils?

Thanks a lot everyone, I really appreciate it!

Curtis

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Curtis all you needed was to ask this once.

This response submitted by John C on 02/15/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Read the rules if you dont understand.

Sorry, really.

This response submitted by Curtis-Living Edge Taxidermy on 02/15/2004. ( Bighunter90@juno.com ) 63.226.182.58

They told me to re-post it under the fish section so I did, sorry about the problem. I dislike it when people double post, so I am very sorry about this.

~Curtis

A tank will not last long.

This response submitted by John C on 02/16/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

One of those tanks will not power your airbrush long.

You might call a welding gas supplier and see what they charge for a large Dry Nitrogen tank rental and what the cost to fill is.

Using one will eliminate and air compressor problems and water in the air line.

Buy several repros and learn to paint them. WASCO seels some reasonable for beginners, you can paint and strip, paint and strip many times.

I dont recommend any stencils, good reference photos and practice will be far better. Reason being is you learn how to really use the airbrush, then when the strange fish roll in, you will not have any problems painting them.

What?

This response submitted by The Rookie on 02/16/2004. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 152.163.252.162

John, You're really becoming quite an advertising guru. Curtis, go catch some fish. Practice,learn! Get good reference photos when you catch your fish and go from there. Playing with repro's will only have you studying schedules. Jeff F.

And BTW

This response submitted by The Rookie on 02/16/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.162

Get a real air compressor. Even if you can't afford the best, you can get something that will work good for around $100.(I do it!) Jeff F.

Aztec

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 02/16/2004. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.168.246.156

I have a few of them and there very simple to connect. I just went to the local home depot and got the air hose adapter right there. Now I use it on a regular air compresser. Those bottles you can buy are a waste of time unless you are away and have to do some type of repair work.
As for pratice a repro would be ok. This way you can wash it off and start over. You can use a skin mount but in time with you praticing on it, it may become broken and you have nothing to work on.
Stencils are a real no no for me. Every fish you do will look the same. Learn to work your air brush and you can create all those markings with pratice. That is the main thing here PRATICE make you a better painter.

Yep...

This response submitted by marty on 02/16/2004. ( ) 67.173.51.16

Stencils will make your fish look like you used stencils. Most decent taxidermists can spot generic stencil usage a mile away. You can custom cut your own for each fish but why? With practice you can perform most any task with the air brush alone.

Practicing on repros will also give you better practice at painting as you're starting from scratch. Whereas with skin mounts manytimes you will just be tinting fish for the most part. Unless they dry too dark and that's a whole 'nother ball game. Good reference is the key...

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu