Pelvic Fins on Sailfish

Submitted by marty on 02/20/2004 at 22:39. ( FishSpecialties At Yahoo.com ) 67.173.51.16

I recently took in a Sailfish to do some repair work on. It's ~ 30-40 years old and is a replica. I am a complete "greenhorn" when it comes to saltwater fish. I conveyed this info to my customer btw, and he didn't seem to mind. I'm fairly confident that with some good reference I can make this fish look much better than it is (it looks pretty BAD).

The area I'm a bit fuzzy on is the long pelvic fins. There is NOTHING there on this fish. Not even a hint of anything EVER being there. I think the original "taxidermist" must've opted to not put anything there. I guess. From what I've seen (on the internet) they look like they are shaped almost like blades of grass (but longer/thicker/bigger). Is that a pretty close description? Any advice on what I can make them out of? Also, I'm thinking of running them close to the body to lesson the possibility of them getting snapped off in the future. Anybody got any jpegs of some close ups of these fins? A Sailfish? Any other advice?

Note my email address is modified to keep the autospammers off my back.

Thanks ahead of time!

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

You can make them

This response submitted by Luke on 02/20/2004 at 23:15. ( ) 67.75.207.48

out of thin sheet metal, but the cost of ordering them prefabricated from New Wave Taxidermy (listed on this supplier page)is minimal compared to time & effort spent by creating them yourself.

Try sheet aluminum

This response submitted by duckfeathers on 02/20/2004 at 23:26. ( ) 68.162.124.149

Most sailfish/marlin mounts have edge tapered aluminum pelvic fins. Cut the aluminum sheet with shears and grind edge to a taper. These fins have some flex and don't snap off too easy. The fins on the real fish are lite and look like a feather but I have never seen one mounted like this.

Marty

This response submitted by Ron on 02/21/2004 at 09:26. ( ) 207.69.137.23

Marty,

Tried to send you a photo, but don't think it went thru. I cut my own out of a fairley heavy black plastic. It's easy to cut to the proper shape and will not break or kink.

Hope this helps,
Ron

I'll look into it Luke

This response submitted by marty on 02/21/2004 at 09:28. ( ) 67.173.51.16

Duckfeathers, I actually WAS thinking of using some leftover aluminum coil stock that I had used to build my duck blind. The only concern I had was eliminating the sharp edges.

Thanks for the input guys! This thing actually looks like a nice change of pace for me...

Hey Ron...

This response submitted by marty on 02/21/2004 at 09:32. ( ) 67.173.51.16

A photo would be greatly appreciated.

In my above email address, try replacing the "at" with @. And then kill all the spaces. (I'm paranoid about auto spammers and viruses)

Thanks!

Ron I got your email, thanks!

This response submitted by marty on 02/21/2004 at 10:22. ( ) 67.173.51.16

And, when you provided your website link I had remembered visiting your site before. You do some very nice work! Thanks for the help...

Marty

This response submitted by Ron on 02/21/2004 at 10:57. ( ) 207.69.137.23

Hope it was of some help, and thanks for the compliment.

Ron

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu