I learned the hard way

Submitted by Tonytiger on 02/23/2004 at 15:08. ( tholder85@yahoo.com ) 216.229.222.242

When applying the gloss to fish, you need to go with very light mist coats to start with. Using a heavy coat to start with will cause your paint to break down, or whatever the correct term for that is. Anyway, it is like the gloss causes the paint to break down and it can really cause problems. Just thought I would post this to save someone the problems I went through.

Tonytiger

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

In my opinion...

This response submitted by marty on 02/23/2004 at 15:46. ( ) 67.173.51.16

...if the gloss is "breaking down" the paint, then this usually happens if you gloss it too soon after painting. The underlying paint hasn't fully dried yet. There could be other reasons, but this is usually the case...

That Is One posible cause.

This response submitted by Tenbears on 02/23/2004 at 16:37. ( ) 205.188.209.6

However their are others.
Not all paints are compatible with each other. For example. Even 5 year old enamel will Lift (a tern use for the paint beginning to emulsify) when topcoated with lacquer. The lacquer solvents simply have too much bite for the enamel.
A similar problem, called bleeding can occur with water based Paints that have not been allowed to cure, before applying a water based top coat. Although the paint may feel dry to the touch. It has not cured to a point that the acrylics are locked in. Whenever applying a top coat. It is recommended That a Tack coat be applied. A tack coat is simply a light coat of the topcast that is applied, and allowed to dry somewhat. this tack coat prevents the generous amount of solvents, be they water, or chemical. From penetrating the base coat. and causing flow problems. It also gives the gloss coats a foundation to grip to, and aids in the prevention of runs.

Basecoat sealer

This response submitted by tomdes on 02/24/2004 at 08:24. ( ) 148.183.241.22

I was always taught to seal your paint job with basecoat sealer after your painting is complete. I never run into your problem when doing this first...

I do too tomdes...

This response submitted by marty on 02/24/2004 at 09:11. ( ) 67.173.51.16

But it's a waterbased sealer, so again you're going to want to make sure everything is good and dry before you spray a laquer based gloss coat...

I think my problem

This response submitted by Tonytiger on 02/24/2004 at 15:56. ( tholder85@yahoo.com ) 216.229.221.221

is that I was applying too heavy of a coat to start with. I am using laquer paint and the gloss was sprayed @ 30 minutes or so after the last paint was applied, so I don't think the paint not being dry was the problem. I have since started applying a light mist coat, as mentioned above and letting this coat get tacky before applying the subsequent coats. This has eliminated the problem. I do like the idea of applying a sealer after painting, though. I may give this a try.

Thanks,
Tonytiger

Tony!

This response submitted by marty on 02/25/2004 at 20:24. ( ) 67.173.51.16

30 minutes is WAY TOO SOON to do a final gloss coat! Several hours is probably the minimum. Although I wait a day or two just to be safe. But I use waterbased paint. Although 30 minutes with any type paint does not give the paint enough time to "bind"...

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu