Anyone try this

Submitted by Kevin Dobbs on 02/24/2004 at 20:24. ( dobbs@connections-etc.net ) 208.38.67.166

I had a Walleye repro that I didn't like how thick the spiny dorsal fin was so I made my own.I used round tooth picks and hot glue.I just traced the pattern of the fin on paper,then I took the toohpicks and curved them after a soak in water and stuck down to a thick clear piece of tape and then coated with hot glue.After the glue was dry I removed the plastic and brushed on some fin backing cream,trimed and attached to fish,flexible and somewhat translucent.I thought of trying clear silicone caulk and bristles from a whisk broom for the soft dorsal,anyone try similar things?KD

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

No but...

This response submitted by Luke on 02/24/2004 at 21:47. ( www.blackwatertrading.com ) 67.75.237.221

I have thought about taking all the parts, and pieces of repros from my junk box, and making an alien fish!
Big glowing eyes, Shark fins, Pike head,Salmon body, and Catfish whiskers with spikes down the lateral, and paint flames down the sides. :0)
But hey... Who's got time?
Have a good one!

Once....

This response submitted by matt on 02/24/2004 at 22:38. ( asd@alaska.net ) 209.112.204.59

I mounted a Scorpion fish about fifteen years ago, and it got knocked off its shelf when drying by a co-worker. I used wire instead of tooth picks, and did what you did. Customer was happy, looked great.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu