gloss for bass

Submitted by Bonnie on 02/22/2004 at 12:26. ( gurkyanme1@yahoo.com ) 204.119.21.80

I have a largemouth blank that I want to put a real good gloss on.I have used the Bowens super fish gloss and it leaves a milky cast to my fish.I have also used envirotex lite, nice gloss but tends to pool and turn yellow.What type of gloss doesnt do these things and who supplies it?

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Need Some Info

This response submitted by Mike G. on 02/22/2004 at 13:23. ( ) 12.32.34.21

Gary Bowen's super fish gloss is an excellent gloss and should never leave a milky look. O.K., having said that I have had the same thing happen to me. I glossed a smallie one morning and 24 hours later applied another coat and oh yeah, it had that milky look. After experimenting I found that the dried laquer is not compatible with the wet laquer ( if that makes any sense ). When I glossed all coats within a couple hours no more problems. I hope this helps and good luck.

krylon tripple thick

This response submitted by Ray on 02/22/2004 at 17:47. ( hunterray2002@yahoo.com ) 205.130.16.249

the krylon tripple thick crystal clear. works exceptionaly wellas a gloss finish coat. also the krylon crystal clear. works good as a sealer between coats. Ray

If it's milky...

This response submitted by marty on 02/22/2004 at 20:46. ( ) 67.173.51.16

Typically that is caused because you've put it on too thick. Go with a series of THIN flashcoats and build up. I usually do 4 or 5 fairly thin coats. It will look crummy til the final coats so don't worry. Teach yourself to be patient and lay it on thinnly...

2 part Auto gloss or WASCO gloss

This response submitted by John C on 02/22/2004 at 20:55. ( ) 66.233.157.155

I see many many people with spray can problems. Many just cannot get the gloss they seek.

Here is what makes the gloss.

Its all related to your sealer. Nothing will give you a gloss unless your base coat is smooth.

If your sealer has a dust particle in it the gloss will amplfy it make it stick out!

Put on a nice even seal coat, check it for a gloss, your sealer has to gloss.

Hold it in the light and look for the dust or crap you left on the fish.

Sand or buff with 1000 grit if needed.

Repeat until you get a nice gloss from the sealer.

Paint and between coats of colors give the fish a light coat of gloss.

once you are ready for the gloss and totally done with the colors.

Mist several light coats on, let dry between each coat a few seconds, using lacquer this should be 30 seconds or about that.

Using a Auto touchup gun for the sealer and gloss!

Final coat should be wet coat the fish should look wet, no dry mist I work from the back to the belly glossing the head to the tail. Wet the fish out. hold it and turn as needed to keep gloss from running.

Sealer

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 02/23/2004 at 05:47. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.166.129.94

John I hate to tell you it has nothing to do with a sealer. I don't seal a dang fish at all and I get one of the highest glosses around.
Yes a light coat between painting can help but you don't need to seal up your fish to get a good gloss.

Be careful around the tail area too

This response submitted by marty on 02/23/2004 at 11:29. ( ) 67.173.51.16

Since the fish is thinner at the tail, it's easy to get too thick there. The two things I believe that can cause "miliness" are laying it on too thick as I mentioned. And glossing when it's too humid. Been there, done that on both.

I agree with Frank. Unless the underlying sealer coat is still wet (which is impossible because you would have had problems with the paint) clouding with the final gloass coat has nothing to do with the sealer coat. You're either laying it on too thick or the humidity is too high. Or both...

THe best gloss Is

This response submitted by pete on 02/25/2004 at 22:11. ( ) 67.75.60.44

I have had that milky look with alot of airisole can
gloss but the one that works best in the
gloss from lifetone that is ordered with the paint
even though its bad for your spray gun you should try it out
cause it works great.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu