Heres the colors I use in Lifetone paints

This response submitted by Ron on 02/23/2004 at 00:02. ( ) 205.231.189.186

Black green
med. green transparent
off white
gold irridesense
red
white pearl
The real secret to a good looking bass is just don't over do it. With the exception of the gills and the white parts I don't really "paint" a bass but kind of "mist" it. If you put the paint on too heavy it will look "Painted" and unnatural. Hope that helps a little.

Try a yellow instead of a green to get your

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 02/23/2004 at 11:26. ( ) 63.115.128.241

green color over a base of irridescent gold. Go easy with the yellow and you will find you can get the green you want that way and it will not darken the fish and will allow scale detail to show through.

Like Ron says you need to take it easy on colors as too much will make your fish look opaque. If you paint too much you will cover up your scale detail which you don't want to do.

I prefer to think of painting fish as tinting the colors back in with the exception of the white. The white can be overdone too however.

I use offwhite on the belly, gill cover edges, inside the gill covers, in the mouth, and lightly behind the mandible

I use black very lightly to tone in the epoxy work on top of the head and the lower lip.

Irridescent gold as a base cost on the sidesm cheeks etc, and back of the fish minus the top of the head and fins and white areas

Bright yellow over the areas painted with irridecent gold until you get the green you want. Go very lightly.

Dark bass green mixed with retarder and water (hydromist) to paint in the scale spots below the lateral line and on the cheek.

Same Dark bass green mixed with a little black without retarder to do the side spot pattern (use reference), back of mandible, lower lip, and to tone in the back if necessary.

Gill red for the gills and possible the lower edge of the caudal fin.

IMHO Largemouths and...

This response submitted by marty on 02/23/2004 at 12:26. ( ) 67.173.51.16

...Muskies are two of the most difficult fish to pull off WELL. Both have very subtle variances of color that most do not see or attempt to replicate. W/O those subtleties, a LM either looks just "okay" (if tinted well) or it looks painted...

the hardest..

This response submitted by terryr on 02/23/2004 at 16:57. ( ) 63.85.32.77

part in painting a lm is getting it gold enuf (actually believing it has to be that gold )under the black green

Dont use Black /Green Terry!

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 02/23/2004 at 17:08. ( ) 63.115.128.177

You might as well be using Black!

YOx says they are paint by numbers.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 02/23/2004 at 21:00. ( ) 66.233.157.155

I have to throw that in a few months back ole Billy Yoxster said they were paint by numbers.

Has anyone seen a Yox bass?

What time of year?

This response submitted by John C on 02/23/2004 at 22:05. ( ) 66.233.157.155

What time of year was the bass caught? Bass varieeeeeeeee in color from individual fish, I have seen three different colored largemouth bass caught in three cast from the same stump.

Generally speaking the colder the water the less gold and bright green you will find on them.

During spawning you may see bass that are silvery, almost as silver as chromies.

each fish will have its individual colors, Chartruse to black, silver to white and all are largemouth bass.

John, it's the Nuclear Power plant near you

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 02/23/2004 at 23:40. ( ) 63.115.128.176

If you catch them at night they glow!

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu