Info needed on which (if any) video to buy.

Submitted by samantha on 02/26/2004 at 18:50. ( cervin@hotkey.net.au ) 210.50.189.177

I am setting up to do soome fish following mr morrills book - museum quality fish.
The book is great and i understand it but im stumped on one thing.
Setting the teeth.
There are 3 methods in the book - the 3rd is understandable enough but im having trouble visualising the other two. (setting teeth with jaw attached and setting teeth in the parrifin mouth mold)

Is there a particular video that describes these methods in detail? (not just a brief overview).

Most mounted fish caught here have teeth larger than, say, trout teeth.
Im very confident following the book - even with the new a/brush. I have decided on doing a rubber mold then i can cast a few fish off for finishing practice also.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

should add

This response submitted by samantha on 02/26/2004 at 18:53. ( ) 210.50.189.177

I wasnt implying the book wasnt detailed enough - it is.
Just some video's i've bought rush over things.

I think it's an outstanding book but

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 02/26/2004 at 19:42. ( ) 63.115.128.192

I dont' care for the painting much. Just my two cents and no offense meant.

hiya Cecil and none taken

This response submitted by rs/bm on 02/29/2004 at 19:42. ( rewthybm@aol.com ) 152.163.252.164

Ralph liked the transparent look he could attain by mixing colors in transparent layers , one over another and directly on a fish, -- instead of applying pre mixed colors selected through the eye of someone else. His method for painting required studying the color of the fish and selecting, from the lacquers he had available, those colors he knew he could mix together to produce the color of the fish. To do this he usually started with a series of lightly applied sprays of blue (sometimes a greenish blue, other times a reddish blue depending upon the fish) or a golden umber shade. This choice, of course, depended upon the color of the fish he was attemping to imitate. Then he oversprayed with tints of yellow or red to reach the exact green, purple or etc. he wanted. When he had it right he cross sprayed with black to daarken the back and accent the scales and fin rays.
He enjoyed the latitude this method gave him. This method , as mentioned, requires studying the colors on the fish and looking into those colors to see what colors could be mixed together to match them. I well understand how this might not be the choice of a lot of taxidermy artists but it is the way Ralph painted and, in the book,I wanted to explain his exact technique in case someone might wonder how he worked. Evidently I was very wrong in this and I apologize. I certainly did not mean to imply that commercial mixes were inferior,or that one type of commercial paint was superior to another or even that slowly building color, layer by layer, was superior to every other method. I regret if that is the way it came across. I merely wanted to explain how Ralph worked so anyone interested in his method would have a refernece. Any arrogance that may have come through was unintentional. Just loved him and wanted to share what I knew of him with anyone interested. rs/bm

Ruth ... Is this a picture of Ralph?

This response submitted by PA on 02/29/2004 at 20:25. ( ) 24.3.205.80

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3661862598&category=22702

Ho PA

This response submitted by ruth Morrill on 03/01/2004 at 18:07. ( rewthybm@aol.com ) 64.12.116.203

Sorry P.A. , I missed the picture. But it probably was Ralph. He did a whole series of champion dogs back in the thirties including Togo the dog who ran about 235 miles carrying diptheria serum to some foresaken outpost in Alaska , a run that was the imspiration for the Ididarod race that starts next week.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu