repair problems

Submitted by sal on 02/29/2004 at 21:32. ( ) 65.129.180.70

I just recieved a pike that was mounted in 1979 it fell off the wall and broke some fins off and bent about a 1/2" of its nose straight up I was wondering if I should get artificial fins and a head and repaint the whole fish. It's the first fish I got in my shop so I took it I hope it wasn't a mistake I need help with a paint schedule I have on for lifetone paint but I have polytranspar paints so I guess I need some serious help. If anyone can Help I'd surely appreciate it.
Thanks
Sal

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Sal

This response submitted by KD on 02/29/2004 at 21:44. ( dobbs@connections-etc.net ) 208.38.67.166

what I would do is buy new fins and head and the Breakthrough fish painting schedule book as you already have Polytranspar paints,if you are going to order the paint schedules you may want to try the WASCO super striper to get the paint off or just use Acetone or Lacquer thinner.Also of course you need a new eye.good luck .

By the description...

This response submitted by marty on 02/29/2004 at 22:16. ( ) 67.173.51.16

I'd just go with replacement fins. Or repair the existing ones. The spiny dorsal is the most difficult fin to fix/rebuild on fish (imho). To make look good - that is. And since a Pike doesn't have one, you might get by with some simple epoxy rebuilding on the existing damaged fins, depending on the extent of the damage.

The nose sounds like some simple rebuilding with epoxy. You'll have bigger headaches trying to find an artificial head that fits and look good. Plus the cost wouldn't be worth it vs. the 50 cents in epoxy. Never did the artificial head on a Pike but wouldn't you have a fair amount of finish work and teeth rebuilding anyways? Why bother? Rebuild the nose, dry and then make the teeth...

Shoiuldn't be to bad

This response submitted by Vic on 03/01/2004 at 19:15. ( ) 209.83.14.215

if the fins are all there I would fix them. Like Marty said epoxy on the nose will work great.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu