Swordfish bill preservation

Submitted by Chrism on 4/2/05 at 4:54 PM. ( ) 218.101.70.16

What about setting the entire bill in clear epoxy?

(Jurassic Park style - though that was amber!)

Swords can be preserved by a taxidermist here in NZ, though to "white bone" and that doesn't appeal.

If you haven't tried it or don't have helpfull suggestions, please don't respond.

Chris M

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Chris, you simply cannot preserve them

This response submitted by George on 4/2/05 at 5:26 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.7

Eventually, the oils inside them will seep out. I'm assuming that's the "white bone" method you speak of where all the meat is removed and only the hardened bone remains. This too is very iffy. The "best" way and the "only" way is to make a reproduction.

Ta, I understand.

This response submitted by Chrism on 4/3/05 at 1:21 AM. ( ) 218.101.70.189

A reproduction is not the same thing. Otherwise I'd use a blow-up doll.

How can a repro be "taxidermy"? Apart from paying taxes on it?

Looks like I'll just have to go and consult those Amazonian Indians who make shrunken heads.

(seriously, your advice appreciated)
Chris M

OK Chris, then lets use your logic

This response submitted by George on 4/3/05 at 10:55 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.7

Why do you use a reproduction BODY in taxidermy then. Or the reproduction bird heads, or the reproduction fish heads, or the reproduction mouth forms, noses, claws, and eyes? Why use reproduction COLOR to paint your fish with? Either you too hard headed to understand the scope of your comment or you're willing to accept most of the concept but stop short of accepting it all. You can't take a sip out of a spittoon without swallowing the whole thing. When's the last time you saw a mounted jellyfish, or squid, or octopus? Maybe you should stick with blow up dolls as they won't leak grease all over your customers wall and he won't sue you for damages.

Sorry George

This response submitted by Alex on 4/3/05 at 9:16 PM. ( ) 66.32.112.7

I dissagree, I don't know how many Bills you have worked with, but conservativly I probably done thousands.

And I still do them if they are boiled well and all the meat removed while they are fresh and the meat removed all the way up the shank and then hung to dry several weeks,tehn I wash them in white gasoline(airplane fuel) you can reconstruct them with bondo and seal them with kilnz and then paint, I have yet to receive one back oil damaged.

If I Knew how to put it
in the net in a form of a video i would do it so you guys can see it.

Thanks!

This response submitted by Chrism on 4/4/05 at 8:11 PM. ( ) 218.101.64.21

See, my point was this. (knowing it must be difficult)

Bills CAN be preserved. I am not asking whether they can. See www.seamounts.co.nz/Bill%20Carving.htm

That finish is "white-bone", which I don't like from a realistic point of view. Maybe the colour and roughness needs to be re-created, so be it.

I don't ask a taxidermy column to be told that "taxidermy" does not exist. Look it up in a dictionary! Hell, for just a fibreglass mould, I build scale model aircraft and ANYONE can take a MOULD, do colouration, etc.

My enquiry about "setting in a block of clear epoxy", has not been answered. Maybe sterilised first. Hell, you can PRESERVE meat at room temperatures to eating standard by vacuum-packing it! (can't you?) You can certainly can the meat, I have samples to prove it.

(Hope I've stirred things up <GRIN!>)

Chris
(Amazonian Indians - PLEASE reply!)

Umm...

This response submitted by Chrism on 4/4/05 at 8:30 PM. ( ) 218.101.69.136

Freudian slip. I meant "mold" not "mould" <guffaw>

I have

This response submitted by Alex on 4/4/05 at 10:24 PM. ( advancetaxidermyall@hotmail.com ) 66.32.112.7

Done it in a clear epoxy setting ,might be a good experiment, Let me know how it turns out.

I have a 40 inch swordfish bill frozen for sale my own catch, if anybody is interested $130

If You Have...

This response submitted by Chrism on 4/4/05 at 11:36 PM. ( ) 218.101.74.250

If you HAVE "done it" (encased it) in clear epoxy, then why are you asking me for the results? I was asking you, after all.

If no-one has tried it (apparently, according to some), or it goes "bad", I can always take George's advice and go to my "taxidermist" and choose the nearest replica mold! They don't even need to see my "sword"!

Now, how cool is that? <g>

Chris M

P.S. Anyone know where to buy 10,000 litres of crystal-clear epoxy? Or Amber? (just a joke)(though the subject is very serious)

Sounds to me like: YOU HAVEN'T. Did you mean YOU HAVE (done it) or YOU HAVE (a swordfish bill)? It's false advertising to say "I HAVE".

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu