BUILD A BIG FISH

Submitted by LARRY on 4/6/05 at 11:04 AM. ( ) 207.144.116.79

I AM LOOKING FOR SOME ONE TO BUILD A VERY LARGE CATFISH OUT OF FIBERGLASS. IN THE AREA OF 12-15 FEET LONG. I OWEN A CAMPGROUND & MARINA.THE FISH IS FOR A DISPLAY FOR PICTURE TAKEN WITH KIDS. I HAVE SEEN A FISH LIKE THIS, BUT CAN NOT FIND ANYONE TO TELL ME WERE IT CAME FROM. PLEASE HELP

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Look at this

This response submitted by * on 4/6/05 at 12:09 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.132

http://www.fishreplicas.com/

Are you sure you want to do this...

This response submitted by marty on 4/6/05 at 1:34 PM. ( FishSpecialtiesATyahooDOTcom ) 24.15.107.136

...in fiberglass Larry? Why not do a big wooden cut-out painted like a Catfish? It would much, much cheaper.

Something like this would have to be all hand made. And would have a pretty good chunk of change in materials as well. Then you need to consider where you're getting it and where you want to get it to. And then, how it's going to be hanged/displayed. Also, if it's going to be outside permanently, plan on re-painting it every several years as the weather/sun will fade it.

I would consider taking on such a project. But I would have to seriously take a look at the hours involved and costs of materials, etc. It's a big job. A ballpark estimate to create a fairly detailed 12' Catfish (NOT including shipping or set-up, etc.) would run you upwards of $3500 dollars. For a 15 footer, you're probably talking upwards of $5 grand.

Now if you're past sticker shock and are still serious about it, email me and I'll work you up a more accurate estimate and all the other logistics involved with making this happen...

Or

This response submitted by wetnwild on 4/6/05 at 2:11 PM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

You could bond 6 flotation billets together and laser cut the fish in one piece. Then you would have a very lightweight foam base to cover in fiberglass as your outer skin, detail and then paint. Cost without delivery for a highly detaiuled piece would run about 7,000.00

Larry

This response submitted by Rich on 4/6/05 at 5:19 PM. ( ) 66.66.117.159

Check out this website if you are into Giant Fish displays. Maybe email the person that runs the site and see if they can put you in touch with somebody who does this sort of thing.
www.agilitynut.com/critters2.html

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu