tipping scales on northern pike

Submitted by roger peets on 4/11/05 at 10:13 PM. ( rjpeets@dreamscape.com ) 216.171.187.32

was wondering when to tip scales on northrn, all my schedules don't have tipping instructions. i got some treasure wax gold from WASCO. should i put this on last & then mist over w/ dk. brown? or should this go on first & paint over w/ rest of schedule. or maybe paint, seal & then tip? a little confused on this. any help on this appreciated. thanks.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Roger, I prefer to put them on last

This response submitted by Cecil Baird - Baird Fish Taxidermy & Fish Farm on 4/11/05 at 11:38 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.43

as to me they are brighter in real life than say a largemouth bass which is the species I put them on first. That said I rarely do this on a northern pike for a customer as it takes too much time to be cost effective in my opinion even though I average $450.00 per northern pike. Just my opinion.

I agree...

This response submitted by marty on 4/12/05 at 9:46 AM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

If you're good at using your finger with the gold waxes in the upper back, go for it. I can't do it well. I normally shoot some gold pearls in the upper back last with the air brush. And then I may come back and stipple some gold in the cheeks and at the head transition...

Take a look at your reference

This response submitted by Luke on 4/12/05 at 10:25 AM. ( ) 165.121.58.191

You can find great close-up detail pics on the internet by clicking the "images" icon on your search engine, then type in Northern pike close up.
Study the pictures, and experiment. Try tipping after your paint schedule, but go lightly, then follow up with a mist of Brn, then Dk. green, then gloss.
Less is more with laquers, and you can always go back, and mist more if needed. Dont use too much light in your paint bay, or your fish will be too dark in the house. Take your time, and you will do a better job.
Have fun!
The tipped scales should show very lightly, and more so in different light angles.

I think that may vary in my area Luke

This response submitted by Cecil Baird - Baird Fish Taxidermy & Fish Farm on 4/12/05 at 2:12 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.43

The gold scale tipping on the northern pike here in northern Indiana is very, very bright. Could be differences in where the pike are taken? Obviously water conditions will be different in Alaska vs. the midwest.

pike vary

This response submitted by mike on 4/12/05 at 5:23 PM. ( ) 207.190.105.175

pike vary in my area drastically, depending on the body of water they come from. stained water really darkens them and you go to the other end of the spectrum with clear water and their very light. sometimes your best ref. is taking pictures of the fish when it comes in if it is good enough condition. the order you put some of the colors on fish usally depends on the particular fish, remember when painting fish dont over paint.

I agree totally Cecil

This response submitted by Luke on 4/12/05 at 5:25 PM. ( ) 165.121.58.191

Tannic water , or silty water etc...
will greatly affect the coloring of a fish. I assume it is absorbing it's atmosphere much like our own pourous skin will do.
I know that Bass will be lighter, or darker depending on the clarity of the water, or even in seasonal changes, as well as spawning phases.
Great point you made to centralize your reference search to an area that would be very close, or similar ecologically to the lake/stream where the fish you are painting was caught.

I don't know if it's genetics too...

This response submitted by marty on 4/12/05 at 9:02 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...but it's been my experience that fish colors can vary considerably even within a body of water. I keep many, many photos of various colored fish (numbered) for my customers to pick from (if they have no pics). I had to make a cut-off on some species and Pike's were one of them. I think I have probably 40-50 different Pike (basic) color configurations and I had to make the cut-off as I have plenty more pics with different color combos for Pike. Never knew they varied SO much until I got into taxidermy...

Try this.........

This response submitted by Grouseman on 4/17/05 at 11:32 AM. ( grouseman75 at hotmail.com ) 69.179.127.249

I have never tried the waxes for tipping but I have used the silver and gold paint pens. You can get them with different sized tips. You can get em at a local office supply store or Ben Franklin.
On a fish like a northern I would tip the scales last like said previously. I hope this helps.
Later Gman.

Grouseman are you really happy with the results

This response submitted by Cecil on 4/17/05 at 3:29 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.43

of those pens? Are you talking about the ones you shake and use? If so I tried them and they went right into the garbage can. Didn't like the results. Waxes with a brush will give you a much finer edge.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu