Alaskan Rainbow Trout

Submitted by Luke on 4/12/05 at 12:50 PM. ( ) 165.121.58.191

Here is a pic of my latest fish mount. A Rainbow Trout from the Alegnagik river.
Very unusual fish for the area. I suspect the coloration was due to the flour(milky silt.) in the river. It had real blue/green color to it.
Most of the Alaskan bows are darker green with a blood red stripe in the flank.
see photo at: www.thomasbliss.com/filmerweb

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Exceptional work

This response submitted by KBauman on 4/12/05 at 12:55 PM. ( ) 164.58.213.17

Great work, you should compete with it.

You missed...

This response submitted by marty on 4/12/05 at 1:32 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...one black dot just forward of the dorsal to the left of the clump of 7 dots and just above the clump of 11 dots. Right below the area that looks like the Big Dipper - see it? Shame on you...

Cast your own heads don't you?

Very, very nice indeed Luke...

Very nice job

This response submitted by Pirate on 4/12/05 at 1:33 PM. ( ) 151.196.98.43

I agree, looks like a very nice job. Base work looks great too.

Is this a repro you made?

This response submitted by Cecil Baird - Baird Fish Taxidermy & Fish Farm on 4/12/05 at 2:16 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.43

It's so good I'm trying to figure out if it's a skin mount with cast head and fins or the whole thing is a repro. ??

It is a Frankenfish Cecil

This response submitted by Luke on 4/12/05 at 2:53 PM. ( ) 165.121.58.191

The body is a Research form, the tail,& fins are from Mainstream, and the head is from Arps. I had to modify the snout with apoxy to give it that Karl Malden nose!
I see the spot you are talking about Marty. As a matter of fact I was starting to see spots after painting that fish!
Total length was 31.25", and the girth was 18.5".
It was a nice break from Salmon & Steelhead which is primarily what I do here in the Northwest. Our season is not too bad for steelies, and we had an unofficial record this year of a 35.6# Steelhead caught last month.
Pics at www.johns-guide-service.com
It is a HAWG!

Heads a nice fit...

This response submitted by marty on 4/12/05 at 3:06 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...and nice detail. Threw me off...

There you See!

This response submitted by Cecil Baird - Baird Fish Taxidermy & Fish Farm on 4/12/05 at 4:22 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.43

Even the best among us use commercial mannikins when they fit, and the same goes for commercial heads and fins! I still say some of you guys that brag you carve ALL of you bodies and cast your own heads and fins ALL OF THE TIME are not being cost effective.

Thanks for making a point for me Luke! LOL

It is really a matter of...

This response submitted by Luke on 4/12/05 at 5:16 PM. ( ) 165.121.58.191

building a model from a variety of different parts, from different manufacturers, in order to more closely replicate the subject anatomically accurate to the photo. Rather than using a reproduction in a specific catalog listed as the species, gender, and basic shape I am attempting to reproduce. I will actually select from a variety of different companies to find the specific body parts that most closely resemble the physical attributes of the subject.
Occasionaly this means purchasing 2 or even 3 repros of a similar fish in order to cut away, then re-attach to one model to truly re-create the exact measurements, and physical characteristics the client wants to have reproduced.
This also tends to be very time consuming, but with the end result being pretty close to perfect, it is a challenge I find very fulfilling, and a reasonably profitable form of employment.
Over the years I have accumulated quite a boneyard of parts to select from in hopes that eventually everything will come in handy:0)
I do not think it is possible to offer a reproduction service, and cast everything yourself. Particularly if the trophy is a C&R fish .
Woodcarvings, or sculptures are about the only exception that come to mind, and since I do not do actual skin mounts. Fiberglass replicas are the only medium I offer in my business.
I save all extra parts, and go through quite a bit of apoxy sculpt.

Cecil

This response submitted by DaveT on 4/12/05 at 6:19 PM. ( ) 205.201.66.143

You really do need a vacation

DaveT

Sure do Dave

This response submitted by Cecil Baird - Baird Fish Taxidermy & Fish Farm on 4/12/05 at 7:20 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.43

But what does that have to do with anything? :-)

Nice

This response submitted by Ron on 4/13/05 at 7:31 PM. ( Ron@4greatfish.com ) 207.69.137.36

Nice work, Luke! Ya' done good.

Ron

Thank you...

This response submitted by Luke on 4/13/05 at 11:48 PM. ( ) 165.121.61.40

for all the compliments. I appreciate the input from all of you.
Kindest regards
-Luke

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu