Repairing fish tear

Submitted by Can't believe I did this on 4/18/05 at 11:37 PM. ( ) 66.37.197.102

After 5 years of mounting fish, I finally had my first "oh crap" moment with a fish the other night. I've got about an inch tear between the side and bottom fins on the show side of a large mouth bass. Strangely enough, I didn't lose any scales. It seemed to tear right between them. I didn't find much in the archives about fixing tears in the actual skin. I think this can be done with either apoxie skulpt and/or zap a gap.

Any suggestions? I'm sooo disappointed. Am I doomed?

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Just push the edges together.

This response submitted by Todd B on 4/19/05 at 12:20 AM. ( ) 4.225.22.222

Do you use hide paste or a glue of any type? If so that is all you need to do. Since you say you did not lose any scales. It should match up fine. Any sculpting epoxy will work for repairs also.

Todd B

duck tape it

This response submitted by all messed up on 4/19/05 at 10:44 AM. ( ) 63.153.124.65

i did it but it dont work so i use super glue.

purdy

This response submitted by Can't believe I did this on 4/19/05 at 10:12 PM. ( ) 66.37.197.105

Ya know that duct tape does have a nice silvery sheen... but I think I'll pass on that.

I usually use hide paste anyway. I'll be xtra careful with that and touch up with epoxy if needed. I'm hoping with that and the paint, you won't know it was there. We'll see!

You won't need any epoxy...

This response submitted by marty on 4/20/05 at 7:54 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

The hide paste should hold it in place. Check it once or twice after mounting just to make sure it hasn't moved...

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu