green on bass

Submitted by olman on 4/21/05 at 4:14 PM. ( ) 63.153.124.55

mounted my first bass looking for help on doing the green on them as most bass i see have a green color.how do you all do it.colors ect.not looking for a dark green my fish was about in the middle,tryed med bass green but that stuff dont look like fish skin.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

I almost always use...

This response submitted by marty on 4/21/05 at 5:20 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...Candy Dark Green for Bass. For lighter Bass I'll throw a thin basecoat of gold pearl down and then hit it lightly with the Candy Dark Green. You're just tinting the fish. And you just lay on enough color to the color you want. For a medium green fish, I'd go easy with the Dark Green. Sometimes I'll use Candy Medium Green, but I prefer the dark green and limiting it's usage instead...

Don't use green

This response submitted by Baird Fish Taxidermy and Fish Farm on 4/21/05 at 7:19 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.43

Use yellow. You already have an underlying darker skin tone which when hit with yellow perceded by a gold toner (I use irridescent gold) will get you the green you want. If it's too light just darken a little. But a word of caution -- easy until you get what you want. Don't put too much color on.

One of the most common misconceptions of novices is you have to use the color you want on the skin of the fish. Most times you want to go lighter in the color spectrum.

Cecil's right...

This response submitted by marty on 4/21/05 at 9:52 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...there are an infinite amount of ways to achieve similar results. Or, not so similar. I sometimes spray red on skin mounts - usually over green to get a different brownish color. It all depends on the effect you're trying to achieve. I think my underlying gold is what lightens the fish so that you can bring it back down with the dark green. Again, lightly sprayed. The key is to experiment and find out what works for you...

paint schedules

This response submitted by mike on 4/21/05 at 11:04 PM. ( ) 207.190.105.175

paint schedules help, you can download free ones from Research Mannikins website, you can buy from different suppliers also. start with a paint schedule, practice, make notes on your schedules as you experiment, the ideas from marty and cecil are worth noting and trying, eventially your own schedules will emerge. schedules are helpfull especially if your colorblind. most males have different degrees of colorblindness, thats when wives or girlfriends opinions come in handy females are less likely to be color blind. lots of reference pictures and light on the painting, overpainting is the no. one mistake starting out.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu