painting crappies

Submitted by bob on 4/24/05 at 8:29 PM. ( ) 65.30.128.61

when you paint black crappies do you do anything with the black spots. my paint schedules say not about painting these spots just lightly paint the fish

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

It depends

This response submitted by Baird Fish Taxidermy and Fish Farm on 4/24/05 at 9:00 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.43

If you can get away without painting over them you are better off. However many times I thin my paint and use retarder and very lightly enhance them. On crappies if you are heavy handed with painting these spots they will look unnatural. The less you paint a crappie the more natural it will look.

Paint by hand

This response submitted by greg f on 4/25/05 at 1:03 PM. ( ) 12.175.15.2

Bob, I have had good success with crappies by first enhancing the spots with a black Sharpie pen. You could also do it with a small brush and black paint, but I think the pen is easier. Take it easy and don't make them too dark. Then spray over which will tone down the black somewhat.

You are kiding right greg?

This response submitted by Cecil - Baird Fish Taxidermy and Fish Farm on 4/25/05 at 9:16 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.43

A sharpie pen on crappies? That's about as far away from subtle as you can get. LOL

This is what I do

This response submitted by al in s.c. on 4/25/05 at 9:36 PM. ( ) 205.188.117.74

Try enhancing them real lite with a #2 pencil, Ive had great sucess shadijng the scales like that.. You can always eraese.. ALin S.C.

ebony artist pencil

This response submitted by Monty Artrip on 4/26/05 at 8:36 PM. ( ) 69.245.173.141

I agree with the pencil technique though I use an ebony artist pencil from Hobby Lobby. Also try some of their irridescent pencils for subtle tipping. I have to agree with Cecil that sharpies are way too intense.

this is just to funny !

This response submitted by fishman on 4/30/05 at 1:20 AM. ( fishmantaxidermy@charter.net ) 66.188.118.164

you guys come on! try this would ya please.... these are all life tone paints. so! flat wash silver pearl over intire fish meduim to heavy. a little golden yellow threw middle 2/3 of body. medium green top 1/3 in to yellow. white mouth,throght,anal area and light into yellow.black top 1/8 of the back and head. pains grey the tips of anal, caudel, and dorsel finsand lightly over the black. gill red the gills. and flat wash silver pearl over intire fish agin. maybe a a little eridesentblue if u choose. and thats just the nut shell but u don,t have to touch the vermiulations ever! if u paint it right.. and thats a 5 minute paint job. if u dont beleave that it will work out great.. try me 608-728-fish...

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu