help on fish seams

Submitted by jerry on 4/25/05 at 9:21 PM. ( ) 66.115.194.96

would someone please explain the steps on using Epo-Grip adhesive slow set for filling in fish seams then using a mac z scaler, just did some perch filled the seams then used the scaler to put the scales in right away, and it looks like they have dissapeared, do you leave it set awhile before you use the scaler? any other suggestions

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Why the EZ scaler?

This response submitted by marty on 4/25/05 at 9:23 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

No need to finish the seam on a wall mount - spend that time putting more detail into the show side that's being viewed. And if it's a pedestal mount, you're going to want to do something a little more thorough as it'll be really noticeable. Just my opinion...

You have to let the Epo-Grip start to cure

This response submitted by George on 4/25/05 at 9:27 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.196

The cure time is between 5 and 6 hours. I'd suggest that you monitor it at about the 2 hour mark. It starts getting warm and that's the time to wet it down and run the scaler over it.

Maybe try this?

This response submitted by Doug on 4/26/05 at 7:24 AM. ( ) 64.18.236.142

I use Epo-Grip Seam and Repair Putty. You can run a wet Mac-Z-Scaler over it immediately.

I am with Marty on this.

This response submitted by Todd B on 4/26/05 at 10:48 AM. ( ) 4.225.16.117

Why worry a whole lot about the wall side? I thin Bondo and pour it along the seam and it will self level, and as it kicks I trim the edges with a knife and I am done. I am then on to painting. Who cares if it has scale detail? Are you going to paint the back the same quality as the show side? Probably not.

Todd B

Ditto..

This response submitted by Cecil - Baird Fish Taxidermy and Fish Farm on 4/26/05 at 3:53 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.43

I had someone try and impress me with the seam work on a fish at a show once. I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "but the show side looks worse than your seam.!" LOL

Make neat and professional but don't go overboard.

It's kind of like spending a lot of time cleaning the bottom of your vehicle when the paint job looks like crap.

thanks george

This response submitted by jerry on 4/26/05 at 6:00 PM. ( ) 66.115.194.75

for your info on the seams, and to the rest i just like my customers fish look exellent when they leave my shop.

Ummmh Jerry...

This response submitted by Cecil - Baird Fish Taxidermy and Fish Farm on 4/26/05 at 7:14 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.43

"and to the rest i just like my customers fish look exellent when they leave my shop"

And we don't want out fish looking "excellent" when they leave the shop? If your fish are so "excellent" why are you asking for help?

Gee thanks what an insult. I would try and make my point again but I think you'd probably miss it again.

cecil

This response submitted by jerry on 4/27/05 at 8:22 AM. ( ) 66.115.194.120

thanks for your input, didnt hit all the right keys, any help is excellent.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu