Funny story for the day

Submitted by Sam on 4/26/05 at 6:54 PM. ( ) 207.177.14.30

So one of my friends was fishing in farm pond and caught a 20 inch Largmouth bass. He know i was into taxidermy and that I was always looking for practice specimens, so he came to me. His first question was... If I give it to you this weekend, Can you have it done in a WEEK?! This would be my first fish ever, yeah right. So then he goes on to tell me that he had filleted the fish, and he wants me to fix it. I just laughed. He also says well its been in my garage (unrefigerated) since friday, today is tuesday.Sounds like an impossible job.Then to top it all off, He's like, So what will it cost me, like 50 bucks? once again, I just laughed. I told him to go catch another one, don't touch it, just put it in your freezer and call me, then save up $250 and wait 6-12 months, im just a beginner. Just thought you all would enjoy a laugh. Peace, Love, Happiness ~ Sam

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

sam

This response submitted by Steve D on 4/27/05 at 6:39 AM. ( aaa_taxidermy@yahoo.com ) 24.50.46.54

Get ready because you'll be dealing with a LOT MORE people, wanting even better deals than that, Welcome to Taxidermy.

Funny in more ways than one!

This response submitted by Craig on 4/27/05 at 12:52 PM. ( ) 66.66.226.179

How can you justify charging so much if you are just a beginner and never mounted a fish before? One would think you might want to get a couple of fish mounts under your belt before you go professional. Although as uneducated as your friend is concerning the process of fish taxidermy you might just be able to get him to pay your fee upfront, lol.

haha

This response submitted by Sam on 4/27/05 at 4:29 PM. ( ) 207.177.14.30

I figured by the time he catches another 20 inch+ bass i will be doing this full time. Oh, is 250 bucks a little steep?lol. I'm considering not doing fish for my first couple years and focus mostly on deer heads and pheasants, as that would be probably 80% of my business in this area anyway.

It's not steep if you...

This response submitted by Craig on 4/27/05 at 11:01 PM. ( ) 66.66.226.179

do upper end work. I just don't know any beginners that are that talented.

250.00 is not steep

This response submitted by Terri on 4/28/05 at 8:00 AM. ( thaken@chartermi.net ) 66.227.255.226

It doesn't matter if your a beginner or a long time taxidermist. If your doing quality work you set your price at whatever you think your work is worth.

As far as beginners not being that talented you are way off base there. I have seen some work done by beginners that has been far better then some so called taxidermists that have been in this business for 20 years.

it,s all what u make of it

This response submitted by fish man on 4/30/05 at 12:52 AM. ( fishmantaxidermty@charter.net ) 66.188.118.164

it,s all up to you. You set your prices and stick to them you work will do all the talking and advertiseing for you. i have been a whole sale fishan for ten years now and trust me when i say,your customers will let you know! i haven't heard a complaint in years. BUT! it took me a while to get to that point. looking for a wholesale fishman look me up 608-728-fish.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu