Fresh water and Salt water Stripers

Submitted by PT on 10/17/05 at 6:30 PM. ( ) 12.163.89.105

Ive read on this forum where Stripers are real grease balls especially around the head. Lots of shrinkage in these areas. Would this also apply to Stripers caught in a lake? Or are salt water stripers more of a problem. May I also add Im VERY new to taxidermy and anxious to learn. Please be patient! Thanks

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Problems with stripers

This response submitted by Carl Ballinger on 10/17/05 at 6:56 PM. ( cbjcboys@yahoo.com ) 24.254.21.201

Stripers be it salt water or fresh are truely oily. use dawn detergent to wash fish often during fleshing.They may also be soaked in Rittels solvent deagreaser. Stripers also have a problem with scales slipping. After all soaking and deagreasing soak the skin in denatured alcohol available in any hardware store. Mix half water and half alcohol. Rinse skin thoroughly mount or freeze skin till later mount date.Shinkage in most fish mounts comes from not removing all flesh from the areas of shrinkage and not replacing it with mache or clay. Hope this helps.

Fresh water and Salt water Stripers

This response submitted by PT on 10/18/05 at 4:07 PM. ( ) 198.77.43.46

Thanks Carl for your response ! Your imput is greatly appreciated. I was a little confused after reading so many posts. I spend countless hours on here reading and after a while you can get confused and just need to ask and get it over with :-) Im sure Ill be asking more down the road

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu