flexible fin finish

Submitted by Jackson on 10/12/05 at 9:58 PM. ( ) 69.208.131.136

I just recently mounted my first fish, and on the fins they kinda went a little wavy and the dorsal fins didn't stay all the way up. How do I keep the fins in the position I want and flat without getting all raggety looking? Thanks

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

they need to be carded.

This response submitted by Todd B on 10/12/05 at 10:42 PM. ( ) 4.224.159.12

There are numerous materials that can be used for carding. But they need to be carded after mounting and let them dry. This will keep them from curling like you mentioned. Do you have an instructional manual or anything to tell you the mounting process? If not I would recommend the Breakthrough Fish Mounting Manual. It will help out in many ways.

Todd B

And several long pins

This response submitted by George on 10/12/05 at 11:07 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.131

The hard dorsal is pinned with a hat pin in the upright position before the carding materials are placed and paperclipped into place.

If it's a spiny dorsal fin as on a LM bass

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 10/13/05 at 1:18 AM. ( ) 64.184.41.190

a pin is all that is needed behind the first dorsal spine. The rest of the fins need to be carded. After carding and the fins are clean of any debris cost you fins with a sealer to prevent them from curling too much if you don't want them to just before putting on yoru fin coating.

You can make carding easier by putting your plastic on the backside and spreading out the wet fins on the plastic before putting your screeing on the front. You can get away with this on all fish except those with meaty fins as in salmonids, pike, musky. With those species you will have to put the screening on the back.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu