Attaching a big 360 steelhead to base

Submitted by Jim on 11/6/05 at 10:56 PM. ( ) 206.183.121.110

Need some help from the experts. I'm working on a 44 inch, 360 degree steelhead mount. It is going to be tail-walking, with a small splash scene. I got a nice oak base for it, real strong. I want to make the attachment point solid, and don't have time for trial & error. Any suggestions?

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Not an expert, but what I would do...

This response submitted by marty on 11/7/05 at 9:08 AM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

Assuming it's a skin mount I would a run a 1/4" or 3/8" rod into the tail area and down the length inside of the fish. Leave a sufficient amount of the rod to be inserted into the oak base. Bend it accordingly. If the base is farly thin and flat on the bottom (not much meat to grab onto), use a threaded rod and a washer and nut underneathe to tighten things up. Countersink the wood underneathe obviously so that the base stays flush and does not wobble. Two rods might even be needed to gain stability. But, if it's a skin mount it shouldn't weigh all that much and you might be able to get by with one rod. Play with the size of the rod - you might even need to go up to a 1/2"...

Simple procedure

This response submitted by JL on 11/7/05 at 9:46 AM. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.251

A 1/4 inch threaded rod is what I would use, however bend one end in a "U" shape and the other end in the bend that suits your final position. Carve a groove in the fish body and bondo the rod in place.The "U" shape will keep the body from spinning on the rod.Place a nut on the rod where the threads exit the fish and make it flush with the skin.Drill a hole in the base and secure with a washer and nut. When you tighten this nut it will pull up against the other one and will lock the mount in a stable position. Good luck...JL

Thanks Marty & JL

This response submitted by Jim on 11/7/05 at 7:11 PM. ( ) 206.183.121.150

I appreciate your help.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu