Golden trout

Submitted by Jay Parke / Legacy Taxidermy on 11/7/05 at 6:41 PM. ( idbatman@yahoo.com ) 64.136.27.227

Fellow just brought in a brown he wants painted as a golden he released in western Montana, (with a good picture). Picture resembles a cutthroat head aprox. 5" w/ hybrid body . Use Palomino trout paint refrence ? Is golden and Palamino the same critter? thanks Jay

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Cecil, you answer this one

This response submitted by George on 11/7/05 at 9:23 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.132

After 15 times and referring people to the archives, I'm tired.

No not at all the same fish

This response submitted by Rick Krane on 11/7/05 at 9:42 PM. ( rmkinc1@msn.com ) 70.109.133.57

Hey Jay,
Your question is a good one. First let's look at what it is and what it is not.
The Golden Trout: Salmo agua-bontia pre 1950 reclassified ochcorhynchus aguabontia Found in California as well as a few other western states. More resembles a cutthroat in characteristics. Also know as Kern River Trout, Mountain Trout, and Goldie.

Palomino Trout: Golden Rainbow Trout Oncorhynchus mykiss was a fish first introduce to the PA water systems in 1963 the palomino is a gold-orange rainbow trout raised under artificial fish culture conditions and stocked as a novelty for angling sport.

As far as your client catching a Brown and wanted it painted as a golden? You can try it I guess? I do have some reference I could send you of a real golden ochcorhynchus aguabontia, the anatomical differences between Salmo Trutta the brown trout and your customers golden are a bit too different to pass it off to me. But what do I know. LOL!

My best!
Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry

Thank You

This response submitted by Jay Parke / Legacy Taxidermy on 11/8/05 at 11:13 AM. ( idbatman@yahoo.com ) 64.136.27.227

Thank you for your input Rick. I found the paint schedule in the refrence but wanted to make sure it was the right one. I guess this guy is to good to have a repo. Would have been a lot better looking fish if you ask me. I only have about 100 fish under my belt so I always like to hear from George as well. I always pick up good tips from all of you , Thanks. Till next time, Jay

Good one

This response submitted by Montana on 11/8/05 at 12:04 PM. ( ) 168.212.157.154

Pretty easy way out for people who dont know the answer to make you look stupid and send you to the archives

OK Montana, you're a rocket scientist. Feel better?

This response submitted by George on 11/8/05 at 9:26 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.132

If NASA will allow you, however, click that orange SEARCH icon. You'll see that Cecil and I have held several LONG discourses on the differences between honest "golden" trout, "West Virginia golden trout", and "palomino trout". You WOULD have been able to find them just by typing in "GOLDEN TROUT" (amazin') and you'd have seen there are 81 entries on that subject. A mind is such a terrible thing to waste. So are those archives.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu