OLD FISH....not sure of age, over 17 years old.

Submitted by Michelle W on 11/8/05 at 2:43 PM. ( michellestaxidermy@zoomshare.com ) 138.162.128.37

I work at the Albany Marine Base and had a co-worker in my shop bring me a Large Mouth Bass to me today at work to look at. He said it is atleast 17 years old. He said it was in his barn but for how long I do not know. All the fins are broke off, their is about a 2 1/2 - 3 inch gap in the back. It only has one eye on the show side of the fish. The paint if flaking off so bad 70% of it was gone when he brought it to me. The scales are almost solid white. It looks as if he built the head up with some sort of epoxy and the cheaks are filled with a fiborus material. I don't think it is cotton. The inside of the mouth is almost black but I think a lot of that is dirt. This fish was mounted on a foam form.

Alright, I know I can buy repo fins but who from? This fish is approx. 7 lbs - 7 1/2 lbs. Thanks

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Why not total repro?

This response submitted by marty on 11/8/05 at 4:07 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

Sounds like it may be more work than it's worth.

As far as replacement fins go, all of the ones from the supply companies are garbage. Your best bet would be to try and talk one of the top repro distributors (Realfish, Fisherman's Tale, New Wave, CPR) into selling you a set...

It's not that bad realy.

This response submitted by Michelle W on 11/8/05 at 4:52 PM. ( ) 138.162.128.37

I'll get er done. It's a 20 year old fish I don't think he expects me to make it perfect. I'll see if I can get a set of fins from a repo company.

You found my first fish?

This response submitted by George on 11/8/05 at 9:10 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.133

I remember it well.

They all looked like that 30 years ago(the foam form suggests it is a lot younger, however). You can buy the hot glue type fins from Arp that I hate, or you could buy some epoxy and make your own if you have a suitable fish, but it you had one, it would just be easier to use the real fins off of it.

I'd go with Marty's suggestion, however. It's hardly worth anything other than intrinsic value at most, and if it's not that, get a repro. Convince your customer.

Dennis Arp

This response submitted by Tenbears on 11/8/05 at 9:22 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.133

Van Dykes 1-800-843-3320 Item #BM-01001241 $10.50 Our host WASCO May also carry them. I did Not get a catalog last year so I do not Know for sure. But I will bet if you click on their name here, You can find out

WASCO has them

This response submitted by Tenbears on 11/8/05 at 9:27 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.133

Yup GM-LMB8 $10.00 click the link, then products, then fish forms and accrssaries.

Sorry Ken I should have thought of you first.

Put it out of its misery and throw it away!

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 11/9/05 at 2:08 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.69

It will only agrivate you!

Hey Michelle,

This response submitted by Craig on 11/10/05 at 3:10 PM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

sounds like it could be fun but let me remind you to price this type of work accordingly. It can be a real pain. I had a guy bring me an old 24 inch brook trout (speck he called it). It was an old mount with the real head and mache and wood wool fill. The fins were also broken or missing and the head was all shrunken in and looked pretty bad. The body on the show side looked pretty good so I replaced the fins with Dennis Arps hot glue brand, added some epoxy to the head and rebuilt it all back up, and gave it a new paint job. It turned out mint and not only was it fun but the gentleman was extremely pleased.

Be careful with the stuff in the cheeks as it could very well be asbestos. That stuff was still around 20 years ago.

Repair work is quite lucrative...

This response submitted by marty on 11/11/05 at 2:15 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

I love repair work. Typically I make probably TWICE as much per hour on repair work vs. the money I make doing a mount from scratch...

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu