Carp Taxidermy

Submitted by CtCarper on 11/9/05 at 6:20 PM. ( ) 69.37.44.82

hello yall,
anyone ever skin mount a carp? If not, Yall think its possible? thanks for any info/tips!
TITE LINES

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Yes!

This response submitted by marc on 11/9/05 at 7:19 PM. ( ) 70.224.229.29

They skin just like any other fish except maybe a bit tougher. You may need a stronger scissors or what ever type of tool you use to make the initial cut as well as strong bone cutting tools (the one and only I have done was 40 plus pounds) but they mount up nice and infact make a great looking mount. Good luck! PS. Don't forget to degrease!

anothre thing to think about

This response submitted by Tenbears on 11/9/05 at 8:30 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.73

I just finished one today. A point to remember about carp is that they are very greasy. it is near impossible to get all the grease, and meat out of the head. For this reason I strongly recommend casting the head. it will not stink, or leach oil later on down the road.

You might want to tan it a bit to keep tight.

This response submitted by Mike on 11/18/05 at 5:06 PM. ( ) 62.180.196.70

I tan with a bit of Fish tan for about 8-10 min to keep from losin scales,(Before I start cleaning) and it also helpes keep the grease in check.But you don't want it too long in the tan. casting the head is the way to go ! if the whole thing starts to shrink you can use a hot Iron to iron them back down,if you get scale lift when it's dry.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu