Favorite painting methods...

Submitted by OUTLAW on 11/11/05 at 4:29 AM. ( JOHN.GRADY@SBCGLOBAL.NET ) 128.58.89.3

It's been a few years since I"ve posted but I"m getting ready to tackle my airbrush and learn how to paint fish. I'm really interrested in the "Starfish" method (hope I'm not stepping on toes here) but I was curious to how many of you used it or just use the regular paint schedules and why. Please give me some feedback based on exp.
thanks

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

I am a firm believer of the...

This response submitted by marty on 11/11/05 at 7:43 AM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

..."Wing-it" method - lol! Seriously, I don't think I've ever painted two fish the same. I just look at a picture and go with it. I build a plan of attack in my head (prior to starting) first trying to decide which colors are underneathe and which are on top. And manytimes I make mistakes along the way. Sometimes those mistakes have a positive outcome and I have now developed a "new" trick via trial and error. Probably the best advice I can give if you want to learn how to PAINT (vs. replicate somebody else's paint schedule) is to remember that there are NO RULES. I use artist brushes, my fingers, q-tips, denatured alcohol to rub off paint, pencils, flat brushes (sometimes trimmed), etc., etc., etc. The neat thing is once you learn how to look at a photo and separate color (and replicate it), you will never have to make another post asking for a particular "paint schedule"...

Right on Marty

This response submitted by Mark on 11/11/05 at 7:59 AM. ( Shmockaloc@cox.net ) 70.191.114.10

Nailed it above. Its Freedom. I had to buy a larger hat because of the knowledge bumps.

I am a wing-it man too.

This response submitted by Marc on 11/11/05 at 11:20 AM. ( ) 70.224.238.42

I would probably screw it up if I tried to follow something other than maybe a photo. Also, when referring to skin mounts. The hues and shades of even the same species vary so much when dry that no two are going come out exactly the same anyway.

Same here

This response submitted by Ron on 11/11/05 at 4:36 PM. ( ron@4greatfish.com ) 207.69.139.12

I doubt that I could paint from a schedule if you held a gun to my head. Never have followed instructions worth a hoot.

Ron

Go for it but not too much paint!

This response submitted by Dan on 11/13/05 at 10:38 PM. ( borealtales@aol.com ) 205.188.117.66

Go for it with the airbrush but my advice is to not go too heavy on the paint. You want to still see the details of th fish through the paint. I don't use schedules either. I just use reference photos or make notes of special features on a particular specimen. Brookies are fun. Good Luck..

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu