Black nose crappie

Submitted by Joey Arender on 11/11/05 at 2:33 PM. ( J32a@aol.com ) 152.163.100.200

or at least the customer called it that. I have never seen one, but heard that hybrids have a black steak running about 1/2" wide from the nose to the dorsal fin. Other then that it looks like a black crappie. Is this what the fish is called? A black nose crappie.

Until I got into taxidermy I called all bluegill and alike species, bream. just curious thanks for your time.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Forgot

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 11/11/05 at 2:36 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.131

All crappie up until 5-10 years ago, where I am from, were called white perch. Many people still do just depends on the social group you are with.

hybrid

This response submitted by mimes on 11/11/05 at 3:04 PM. ( ) 64.233.135.28

I have seen and caught crappie like you are speaking of here in Arkansas. But I do not believe there is a such thing as a hybrid crappie?

Hybrid Crappie...

This response submitted by marty on 11/11/05 at 3:27 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...would be a cross between a Black and a White Crappie. I think the color variations you speak of are simply that - variations within the specie...

hybrid

This response submitted by Bill Haynes on 11/11/05 at 3:39 PM. ( ) 66.216.217.11

A cross between a black and a white crappie would still be a crappie.
Maybe a little defference in coloration,as Marty says.
In the south, extra large male blue gills are called copperheads, because of the copper coloration on the front of their heads.
It doesn't alter the fact that they are still bluegills.

Here's what a biologist had to say about them Joey

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 11/11/05 at 3:51 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.69

I copy and pasted it off an aquaculture site.

"THe black nosed black crappie as we call them were first described in the white river basin of arkansas. THey have seen been found in 13 other states. The black stripe is the result of a recessive gene, which breeds true when using black stripe brooders. THere are all kinds of claims about them being sterile, or hard fighters and such. No conclusive evidence has ever been found to support any such theories. THey breed just like regular black crappie. I believe the black stripe adds to the excitement when reeling one in and anglers get an adrenaline rush when they see one, resulting in all kinds of euphoric claims. Do not be confused, some people are using black nosed black crappie in hybridization research which results in hybrid crappie with black stripes (to indicate a successful cross, gene expression of a recessive gene from one parent). Therefore some hybrid crappie have been stocked with the black stripe and some people confuse the black stripe thinking it is the result of hybridization. Bottom line, in order for any crappie to have a black stripe it must have a black nosed black crappie parent. Additionally, I have found that 8" is the "line" for all crappie. Below 8" there is not much to eat. Above 8" the fish put on weight rather than length. This can also be found in bluegill. A 5" fish is bait (10 per pound), a 6" fish can be pan fried (4 per pound), a 7" fish can be filleted (2 per pound)and an 8" fish can be cut into steaks. Anyway to answer the obvious question, what good is the black stripe. The leading theory is that the black stripe acts much like the the black paint football players put under their eyes. It helps with vision in certain conditions ("habitats"). Perhaps the black stripe presents an advantage in the clear waters of the upper white river basin. WHy are farmers raising and selling them? They are cool and most pond owners will spend money on cool stuff, like albino cats and tiger bass."

Thanks everyone

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 11/11/05 at 6:41 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

And They do look pretty cool. Thanks for the copy and paste Cecil. Bill in MS those would still be bream copper or not, at least 50% of the time.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu