people are funny

Submitted by lee on 11/11/05 at 10:02 PM. ( ) 70.110.41.3

even though the measurments of the mounted fish match the measurments of the raw fish, somehow the customer still insists his fish was much larger. how do you deal with this situation?

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Mount them bigger than they were

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 11/11/05 at 10:13 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.69

That's way the skin doesn't meet on the back of any of my fish. But you'll still get a dumbass once in a long while. What I can't figure out is how a five pound bass weighed eight pounds!

I also make sure I fill out the belly of all the spring bass I get in with mache.

And how does a 46" pike become 50"?

This response submitted by Marc on 11/12/05 at 6:12 PM. ( ) 70.224.253.160

Can't tell you how many times I have listened to people talk about their 50" pike. You'd think after so many years one would actually come into the studio. There have been times where it is so obvious that even the frozen package with wet towel and all doesn't match the size the customer talks of, that I will actually measure the package right there infront of them. I would explain to them that you charge by the inch and why would you make it smaller. You can also try to prove it to them by explaining the definition of the word TAXI-DERMY. Taxi is to move and dermy is the skin. Show them how the fins line up. (I always try to leave my bodies a bit larger(not longer)than original. Provided the customer believes the skin is that of their fish and after showing them how the fins are aligned on the form, all doubt as to the original size VS. what they think it was, should be removed. It is my opinion that pictures can be a great tool to help you paint but they are too decieving to tell sizes by, so don't let them buffalo you. Either way, it's a tough situation to be in as they are going to think what they think.

Bigger

This response submitted by Forrest Sue on 11/12/05 at 7:40 PM. ( forrestzoo@earthlink.net ) 69.69.189.166

Oh Honey, it's not just the fish that gets bigger....

Thanks for the laugh...That's too funny.

This response submitted by Marc on 11/12/05 at 9:23 PM. ( ) 70.224.253.160

I should clarify that ALL the packages I have measured have contained fish. Possibly you speak of a different package?

Even measuring doesn't work

This response submitted by Paul P on 11/12/05 at 10:40 PM. ( info@fintastic.com ) 199.243.54.94

I still love telling this one.

Guys came in from Langura Island, had a big Chinook (Spring). We pulled it out to the ice chest, laid it out, measured it about 4 times, they still thought it was bigger than 40", hey OK your the customer. They pay the deposit on the 40", hour later I get a call, how about a 42", OK, no problem, hour later I get another call, how about a 44", OK, no problem, YEP, hour later another call, that 48" mount is hanging on some lodge wall up in the Shuswap.

Canada makes good beer.

Good points Marc

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 11/13/05 at 4:09 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.69

but just in case you misunderstood I was referring to making the girth bigger I don't add length.

I once brought a mounted fish to fish farmer/conservation officer in Ohio. We traded this redear (shellcraker) for some live fish. Anyway he measured it with a carpenter's metal tape measure and never even followed the curve of the fish. It's bad enough to measure the inside curve which is shorter but to not even measure the curve makes a shorter fish yet.

I am truly amazed at the ignorance out there!

I understood you were talking girth only Cecil

This response submitted by Marc on 11/13/05 at 7:47 PM. ( ) 69.216.184.144

By the way, I also filed a complaint with the consumer protection agency in our area about that polluted zander they sell EVERYWHERE around here. We'll see what happens. PS. I only measure the outside curve when billing,haha.

here is what to do

This response submitted by Tenbears on 11/13/05 at 9:17 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.132

Order the biggest fish Cecil has in each Species. Keep them on hand. when the customer brings in a 22 inch bass substitute the 24 inch you bought from Cecil. Then use his 22" for the guy who brings in the 20" and the 20" for a 18" you get the idea. everybody is happy that way. Even Cecil. How bout dat?

Yep only problem is Tenbears

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 11/14/05 at 9:43 AM. ( ) 64.184.41.69

once my fat bass get to be 24 inches if they keep their girth at the present rate they will be 10 lbs. plus. Probably couldn't pull it off. I took out a 19 inch bass a few months ago that was just under 6 lbs. LOL

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu