molding fin article, Gary Bruch

Submitted by Joey Arender on 11/14/05 at 12:46 AM. ( J32a@aol.com ) 152.163.100.200

I have been searching my Breakthrough Mags. and I guess I am either over looking it or have misplaced it. Can someone please tell me the Issue #. Also If anyone saw his seminar at the WTC what is the product he used for casting the throats with, I don't believe it is in the article, if memory serves me right. I am not getting the results I want when casting fish heads with alginate and would like to try Gary's method.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

silicone

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 11/14/05 at 6:52 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 70.16.113.215

Is what we cast the open mouth's with followed with a mix of resin and bondo. In a comming issue I believe Gary is doing an articule for them. Then once removed the bondo resin mix is coated with Mother's gold paste wax before you pour the head.

Thanks Frank

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 11/14/05 at 11:07 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.132

I found the Issue # under back issues but I can't Find my copy.

The silicone ya'll use is a two part right? I for some reason did not write the name in my notes. I assume the stuff in the tube wont work due to it not being free flowing and the two part stuff I have is dragon skin and has a longer set up time then I would like. I know he measured it by weight like you would do with the dragon skin but I don't think it was a smooth on product. I thought he used a Vaseline mixture for a release or was that just on the fin molds? Tanks for your help

GI 1100 RTV

This response submitted by GB on 11/14/05 at 7:27 PM. ( ) 63.23.227.221

Joey this is the silicone product I use in the mouth. It is from Silicone Inc. Hold tight because I am (as we speak) putting the finishing touches on the article "Making Artificial Fish Heads". In that article I will demo two different ways of making a great Fish head.

Thank you

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 11/14/05 at 9:52 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.132

Can't wait to read it and try it. And I think I will hold on for it before i mess up any more fish heads.Thanks again Gary.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu